free website stats program No oil psi | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No oil psi

Could be a cam bearing?/lifter? that let loose and took out the oil pump...

BUT definitely, it has NO Oil Pressure so don't run it... You are not going to see a problem with the sender unit,,, You are grabbing at Straws here...

The problem is in the oil pump or gerotor in the pump. that is it Period.

"0" pressure means the pump either has a full "0" ring gone OR my bet is busted gerotor or pump housing.

Pull the cams, cam plate/cams is the needed thing to do. then LOOK,

HOPEFULLY running it WITHOUT Oil Pressure has not damaged other parts of the motor...

Never Run a motor without oil pressure. NEVER

signed....BUBBIE

From what I can see it has nothing to do with the cam chain tensioners.

no chips and both the tensioners are intact. Have included pics. They are worn but both are intact.

Have have found some small metal chips? (including a picture)

Everything inside looks intact and clean (regular oil changes and quality oil do help!)

Going to pull the psi switch and sender and make sure there is nothing looking odd there.

here is the pic i forgot to attach

Could be a cam bearing?/lifter? that let loose and took out the oil pump...

BUT definitely, it has NO Oil Pressure so don't run it... You are not going to see a problem with the sender unit,,, You are grabbing at Straws here...

The problem is in the oil pump or gerotor in the pump. that is it Period.

"0" pressure means the pump either has a full "0" ring gone OR my bet is busted gerotor or pump housing.

Pull the cams, cam plate/cams is the needed thing to do. then LOOK,

HOPEFULLY running it WITHOUT Oil Pressure has not damaged other parts of the motor...

Never Run a motor without oil pressure. NEVER

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie,

I will follow with what you are suggesting, and the motor only ran maybe 20 - 40 sec without psi. I know it can still mess things up but I don't think any damage was done. Originally it didn't lose complet pressure, it went gradually and then when I stopped and shut it down, then it lost it completely.

thanks for you advice

Attachments

• cam tens2.bmp
    1,018.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited by a moderator:
Tensioners are due for replacement. Last ones I bought were around $85.00. Just like Bubbie said, pull cam plate and inspect everything inside that cavity.

Bubbie,

you were spot on. It is a cam bearing and the geroter in the oil pump.

Not sure which caused what to go but it doesn't look good for me either way.

Still trying to determine everything that is bad and to what degree the scoring is on the crank, and bearing housing.

Attachments

• geroter inner.bmp
    830.2 KB · Views: 145
  • op geroter outer.bmp
    949.3 KB · Views: 127
I suggest replacing the tensioners too. The pix above looks like it is getting close to the 50% limit.

TQ

Re: No oil psi UPdate

So far I have found a destroyed front cam needle bearing (nothing but the housing left). Also the oil pump is toast and the front cam shaft is scored.

but the most disturbing thing I have found is that the front needle bearing housing looks real bad also. Don't have enough experience to know if this can be repaired or if replacing the whole right side case is the only option (and it looks as if the cases only come as a pair?)

Have not priced the parts and tools I would need to do the repair myself but I know it won't be cheap. Won't be cheap to have someone else do the work either, but easier.

What's your oppinion on the cost of a full rebuild against getting a new motor all together???????

Any advice is appreciated

Re: No oil psi UPdate

So far I have found a destroyed front cam needle bearing (nothing but the housing left). Also the oil pump is toast and the front cam shaft is scored.

but the most disturbing thing I have found is that the front needle bearing housing looks real bad also. Don't have enough experience to know if this can be repaired or if replacing the whole right side case is the only option (and it looks as if the cases only come as a pair?)

Have not priced the parts and tools I would need to do the repair myself but I know it won't be cheap. Won't be cheap to have someone else do the work either, but easier.

What's your oppinion on the cost of a full rebuild against getting a new motor all together???????

Any advice is appreciated
I have used the Harley remanufacture program and it is a great way to get a new warrenty. I priced new motors and priced the cost of parts with me doing the work. The reman. won hands down.

Back