free website stats program No Oil Pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

No Oil Pressure

e7171

I have an 84 FXR. It has not run in about 5 months. I replaced the oil tank. I fired it up yesterday and the oil light remains on. Disconnected the idiot light and put a gauge on and still no oil pressure. Checked the routing of oil lines and all looks good. The tank seems to be filling up. I have only run it for a few seconds as the prospect of no oil pressure is terrifying. I am thinking the bypass valve or check valve in the pump has a problem. Can I replace this without removing the pump? If so does it come out with a magnet?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

I would suggest removing the oil pump and check it over as well as inside the nose cone to see if the key way is intact first.

I've had good results by REMOVE plugs (ground the sparks so they fire) then running starter (short burst not over heating starter) to build up oil BEFORE starting...... I think the oil has totally drained out of system and if you changed the oil filter also your WAIT might be longer....... I've usually OILED the piston chamber with a LIGHT lube before i try any method. *********** some put trany into 4/5 gear and turn by hand(rear tire) until oil pressure is up......... I like these tips because no load on engine parts = less wear while DRY.....Hope this may help B_4 you tear into motor...

JUST another thought ??? did you bleed the oil line to engine to help start oil flow??? what weight oil did you use??? how warm is the temp where you are? ..... COLD HEAVY OIL takes long time to work up.

JUST the way I would attack this.
signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Bubbie and Gary;

I will also try your method of lubing the the piston chamber that does make sense. I did make sure the oil tank was clean before i installed it. Thanks for the suggestions.

I am in Ocala Florida....so temp is not a concern. It is a balmy 75 today.

Thanks for advice guys.

I decided to check the oil lines one more time before pulling the pump. I pulled the oil tank and looked over the 3 fittings and went back to the book and the digram in the book is incorrect for routing the oil lines. I thing I will burn the Clymer's and go to HD and buy a real manual. Oil pressure is good now.

Thanks for your posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gary...I probably should have mentioned it is an Evo. No matter I can always use the literature....maybe I'll find a good deal on a shovel.....Appreciate the help.

Back