free website stats program no oil pressure..... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

no oil pressure.....

Just got off the phone again with the service manager. HD is going to send a brand new 103" to replace what has happened... The service manager said that the oil pump split in 2 pieces. I guess some one is listening... I asked if this would extend my original warranty. He said no.

Cool - as far as the repl. engine goes that is!! Have them do a compression & electrical test on it before you take her home.

He said that the replacement would be a Police 103" with 253 cam's. The original set up was with 255 cam's. What would be the differance? If any what should I expect? Oh and it will be 2 weeks before I see the new Motor...

Yes it was a Stage 2 build before I picked up from the dealer. Today is starting to look better than it did this morning:D

Just got off the phone again with the service manager. HD is going to send a brand new 103" to replace what has happened... The service manager said that the oil pump split in 2 pieces. I guess some one is listening... I asked if this would extend my original warranty. He said no.

Did they happen to say why the oil pump had split in 2pieces?

Just got off the phone with the dealer... Not good news.. Pinon has .04 runout. They have to split the cases & rebuild the bottom end of the engine. Don't know exactly what they are going to replace as of this afternoon. They said the oil pump was in pieces. Just another wonderful day in paradise. :wall:wall:wall

This runout problem with the pressed crank engines is a very important consideration for anyone contemplating an upgrade to their cam shafts' drive system (pre '07 bikes, pre '06 Dynas). The gear drive systems (S&S, Andrews, etc.) will be much more intolerant of runout than the roller chain option. Formike56 had a catastrophic failure associated with runout of the pinion shaft, but even less extreme runout will affect the gear drives!

TQ

Last edited:
What would cause this run out to happen or would it be from the bore kit beeing installed? NOT put together right!

TQ has covered it well.

Basically it was a bad design and a cheaper way of making parts by the MOCO to sum it up.

The MOCO raised the allowable run out tolerance so they would have less responsibility to replace motors but that isn't proving to be the answer in this situation. Once the run out is past a certain point, it takes out the oil pump.This is another example of cheap manufacturing processes coming back to bite them.

TQ has covered it well.

Basically it was a bad design and a cheaper way of making parts by the MOCO to sum it up.

The MOCO raised the allowable run out tolerance so they would have less responsibility to replace motors but that isn't proving to be the answer in this situation. Once the run out is past a certain point, it takes out the oil pump.This is another example of cheap manufacturing processes coming back to bite them.

Has this been a noted problem on any all stock engines or is it an isolated deal?

It's not an epidemic but there have been a number of cranks go out and in most cases it requires the engine to be replaced rather than repaired.

How the bike is ridden and what upgrades you have done to it will make a difference in the life expectancy of the engine/crank.

Hard acceleration and hard downshifting will put excess torque on the crank that is a weak link and that's where the problem starts.

Back