free website stats program No oil Pressure..Dummy light on.. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No oil Pressure..Dummy light on..

It would be good to check again but If you read carefully his post there is a gauge already plus the idiot light.. His saying that it built up to 30# in about 30 miles eventually on the gauge ....

signed....BUBBIE
added comment

Don't know what type of gauge he has and It Might be the sending unit For The Gauge..

Cant see it running that long with that low of pressure, I would have it towed to the dealer and let them sort it out with the ESP working for him, This way the dealer can not say he abused it, JMO

I had the same issue and it ended up to be a piece of the cam chain tensioner had flaked off and stuck the relief valve open. Was pumping oil, but not building any pressure.
ESP took care of it.... New cam chain tensioners, chains, cams, oil pump, cam plate and lifters. A "Super Kit" as the called it.

OK here is today's events. I rode to the Harley Dealor and purchased a new oil sending unit and the whole way the red light was on and the pressure guage was at zero, till I was a block away from Harley and it made its way to above 30 on the guage. 10 miles and no odd sounds coming out of the motor at all and even the long way home still running great. Talked to one of the tech's at Harley and he said to make sure it is broken not worn out when I bring it in or it will not be covered by the warranty!!!!! Changed the sending unit and started it up and the guage was at zero no change. Going on a long ride Saturday and I will be bringing all warranty info with me just in case.

I had the same issue and it ended up to be a piece of the cam chain tensioner had flaked off and stuck the relief valve open. Was pumping oil, but not building any pressure.
ESP took care of it.... New cam chain tensioners, chains, cams, oil pump, cam plate and lifters. A "Super Kit" as the called it.

I had this same think happen to my '03 UC. Only difference is that I did the work myself.

I strongly suggest opening up the nose cone and inspecting your tensioner shoes.

TQ

I had this same think happen to my '03 UC. Only difference is that I did the work myself.

I strongly suggest opening up the nose cone and inspecting your tensioner shoes.

TQ

Nice part was..... It didn't cost me a thing. Roger (my salesman) at Rocky Mountain HD felt so bad he paid my $50.00 deductible.

Re: Engine Oil Poll

wow ! I'm confused now, I have a new roadglide and was furious when my oil pressure dropped to about 5lbs at idle when hot. So I rushed right to the stealership and they said it was normal for a 103 engine even, with 1100 miles on it. So I kept an eye on it and it's true when cold it's reads at least 40-50lbs but when hot it drops to 5lbs at idle. Its seems to me they need a better oil pump or oil. I know for a fact for instance in a car with hydraulic lifters when hot you get the same as the 103 but, if you put in a straight 30 or 40 weight oil you'll have great oil pressure and the lifters will hold the pressure and be quiet, solid lifters maybe OK cause they don't need pressure. Just something to think about with hydraulic lifters and multi-weight oils. Sorry for long post just trying to help out !

I don't normally get too upset if my oil pressure drops on the gauge. As I have said in many posts, these are not lab quality instruments. The "idiot light" coming on, however, is a different tune. Bad sender? Bad pump? Cam tensioners failing? Who knows, but for certain, there is a problem. Having the miles that you do on that bike, I think TQ gives some sage words of wisdom when he suggests pulling the nose cone and checking out the tensioners. If they haven't been replaced, I'd put my money on that as the problem. Good luck and I hope you find the solution.....

I couldn't ride with the oil pressure gauge at zero and the idiot light on. I would have to find out what was going on first.

When two troubleshooting indicators point to the same problem...you have a problem. I would get that fixed...low pressure over a long period of time is in essence "oil starvation" NOT A GOOD THING. By the time things start rattling and engine starts to feel "soft" the damage is done! As Bubbie says, better get that fixed...pronto, nothing good can come of it by delaying...JMHO.

Low oil pressure in an air cooled engine does two things, lack of lube for all internal parts and heat transfer, I agree with Bubbie and NEWHD get it checked NOW

Back