free website stats program no oil pressure after cam & head change | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

no oil pressure after cam & head change

Bud,

You were SPOT ON! Thank you again.

I just needed to hear from an experienced wrench that my lowers were good to go and now I'm VERY confident all is well.

jim

Bud,

No, the HD tech can't get to them 'til Tuesday. He said I removed "great plenty" of surface but didn't damage the lowers. He's just going to clean up my grind job. I'll do one last clearance check, build up oil pressure (like you recommended) and then go for a start.

Next week I'll start my SE Compensator swap and knock out the VPC clutch while I have the primary cover off. Can't wait for the snow to melt.....winter is too expensive.

Guys,

Finally figured out my problem tonight. Back when I removed the cam support plate, half of the oil pump stuck to the plate and the "waffel washer" fell to the floor. When I reinstalled the washer I didn't put it back in the right spot (between the two spacers). I pulled the pump tonight, I discovered my error, reinstalled the washer in the correct spot and had 37 psi immediately upon restart. I still have a little pushrod slap but I kinda rushed the rear cylinder adjustment. I'll readjust the rear pushrods tomorrow after work and, if it isn't snowing, finally ride my newly rebuilt scoot. thanks for all the help and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, glad you found the problem and had sense enough to shut it down when you did, don't you hate it when stuff like that happens.
Can't wait to hear you WOW about it after the first ride, it'll all have been worth it.

Learned a lot doing this build. Very relieved it's finally done. Unfortunately, we're supposed to get a few inches of snow today.

Congratulations, B1-B I for one appreciate you coming back & letting us know what you found. That helps us all. A problem like that can really pray on your mind. Good Job, way to hang in there !! :D

Sounds Great!
I also appreciate you getting back with the root cause of the problem. Everyone learns.

B-1B Guy, Thank you for the post and update, and good to hear you got things sorted.

In HD's since everything is all together, there is no shaft exposure to attach adapter to pre-presurize everything. Sorry, I am new to this V-Twin biz, and it sure is helpful to understand and learn things.

It makes sense, when rebuilding automotive engine "dry" it was easy just to use a drill motor to spinup the oil pump, and prime the oil pump for a "wet" engine, prior to installing and startup of the engine.

Yep; the old drill in the distributor on a cage engine is the way to do it. and I left of the valve covers off till I saw oil coming out of all the rockers then buttoned it up.----jack

Hate to admit it but I did the same thing. Now, when I work in the bike I slow way down and try to double check EVERYTHING. Glad you got it figured out:)

Back