free website stats program no oil in transmission | Harley Davidson Forums

no oil in transmission

madmanbob

I just bought a 2004 Harley FLHT , took it home by trailer. When I checked the fluids it was no oil at all in the tramission. I even pulled the plug nothing no oil. I put in a liter of transmission fluid It seems to run ok I don,t hear any noise coming from the transmission. Do you think it safe to run this bike now . I phoned the guy who I bought the bike from that got me no where. the oil didn,t leak out , looks like it was drained and someone forgot to fill it back up.

When was the last service done on the bike? If it hasn't been rode since someone 'forgot' to put fluid back in it, I would think no problem. I'm sure smarter peeps than me on here will have some better advice soon. Good luck!

I just bought a 2004 Harley FLHT , took it home by trailer. When I checked the fluids it was no oil at all in the tramission. I even pulled the plug nothing no oil. I put in a liter of transmission fluid It seems to run ok I don,t hear any noise coming from the transmission. Do you think it safe to run this bike now . I phoned the guy who I bought the bike from that got me no where. the oil didn,t leak out , looks like it was drained and someone forgot to fill it back up.

If it is not noise y and shifts OK you should be OK for now, tho I would pull the top cover off and have a look inside, pay attention to the shifter forks are they blue in color? I once ran my 1960 FL with no grease for about 25 miles dry with no ill affects but that was many moons ago. These trannys are pretty stout

I not sure when the the last service done , I bought the bike from a motorcycle dealer that sells used bikes. I think the bike may have been a repo . I rode the bike for about 50 miles without oil I taugh the bike had just been service by the dealer that I bought it from but he told me He just did a safety. didn,t check the fluids . so it may have been empty when the dealer bought the bike from the auction. Thanks for your help/

thanks for you advice . I,m going to get a shop to check it out for me. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for you advice . I,m going to get a shop to check it out for me. thanks

You really don't need a shop YET...

Try This:

You just put in fresh tranny gear oil... GOOD.

Now I would ride it for about a 100 mile about. Listen and feel the bike.

THEN Drain the tranny while hot (warm).

LOOK at what comes out. IF a lot of metal, you may/will have problems,,,

IF NO metal and the magnetic plug is clean or Not Much on it.. You could be OKAY.

These bikes will SOMETIMES be okay IF driven for only a short time with out tranny lube

I would Put "Redline Heavy ShockProof Gear Oil" back in IF you do nothing else. Then Ride it.
IT more than likely WILL be Okay

Nothing a shop is going to do but cost you $$$$$ for a listen and re-fill the tranny THEN tell you to GO try it out.

When You Can Do It Yourself. and cost you Little.

Try this above suggestion First.:D

signed....BUBBIE

+1 what Bubbie said, you may have dodged the bullet on this one. What you find or don't will tell you alot.

Thanks Bubbie for your advice I will give this a try. I,ll let you know how I make out . thanks again

HOPE the Primary has oil?

You Might check that also.

The Shockproof is so good it may HEAL the tranny from problems/damage caused earlier.. I'll get Flack on that statement BUT it is what I have seen Redline ShockProof Heavy accomplish...:D

signed....BUBBIE

The Primary had oil maybe a little to much , I drained of maybe a liter or two of what looked and smelled like gear oil to me. I,ll drain the tranny again on tue. I have to wait for my local shop to bring in a liter of Red Line heavy grear oil for me. I don,t think they sell much of that oil here in Ont.

Back