no oil in filter

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by superglyde, Jun 12, 2011.

1. superglyde

superglyde Member

I went chane oil drained oil went to pull filter off filter bone dry. put new filter on filled with oil started motor less tha a minute had oil pressure killed motor turn oil filter loose out cam oil. (EDIT)

Please read this...
    [note]
    A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
    [/note]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
  2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I would hope so. Less than a minute sounds like 45 seconds which is a lot of time to build up pressure.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

What kind of filter are you using?

4. superglyde

superglyde Member

a fram oil filter its an 05 dyna. hopin no serious damage done. dont know how common oil pump failure is only has 17,000 on her

5. RibEye

RibEye Junior Member Contributor

I recommend an HD filter. The one you're using may not have a functional anti-drainback feature, and the oil drains out of the filter between engine runs.

Just a thought...

Enjoy,
    Rich P

6. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

If you need to be convinced, open up a Genuine HD filter and a Fram filter and compare the two. Can't speak for all the other brands but the HD 63798-99A is a very well made filter.

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

If you do a search on the forum, you'll find that most use the HD filter for different reasons. Just because it fits as far as application, doesn't mean it will do the job as well. Your Fram may be lacking a drain back valve. HD filters are specked for the HD engines.

Harley Davidson Community

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Not to knock Fram too much, but their filters have been known to come undone on Harleys, The paper inside the filters comes un glued, cut one apart one time and see:s They may have been OK in the Shovel head days but I woukd not have one now, not even on the Redheads Rav 4 JMO

9. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

What I have heard is especially if you used SIN 3 , the paper in Fram will come Un Glued along with the engine.... Hmmmmmm:newsmile093:

signed....BUBBIE

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

Yep very true here. I wouldn't use any filters but the HD filters on an HD.