free website stats program No noise in New York | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No noise in New York

The Idiots that run this country make a lot of stupid unenforcable laws,supposedly for the good of the envoirment etc,etc,etc; and all of them fall apart under close examination,THEY ALL ARE TO SQUEEZE A FEW MORE PENNYS OUT OF AN ALREADY TAXED OUT POPULACE.And,I might add,even these morons havent hit on that "loud pipes" scam yet.Its most surprising to me they arent quite as solid as I thought they were.

I have to agree, it's all about screwing some more cash by any means using any excuses.
I also gives power to underpayed underqualified civil servants the right to meddle in citizen's lives.
Why is it that the answer to any perceived (rightly or not) problem is to attack our wallets.
I don't know how it works in the US but I bet the EPA charges over cost for the test and the stickers.
If the authorities need more cash, they should pursue the wealthy tax evaders.
Last but not least, $1000 for a first offence is patently ridiculous.

I guess you have to thanks the people who over rev their bikes for no reason at all. I love the sound of my loud pipes but I don't rev it up just for the (EDITED) of it. I think we all need loud pipes on our bikes more for a safety issue in anything . They make cars that are all most sound proof to the outside world. You can't hear a bike that is close to you in one of them. It bad enough the cage drivers can't see us if they can't hear us we will die for their ignorance. The cops just need to crack down just on the people who are being obnoxious.

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
The noise ordanance that you guys are talking about is bill INT 416A that was to be heard before the N Y city council on Dec 18 2008. It was shelved when enough of us city riders called and Emailed our councilmen and reminded them that we vote also as a lot of them are up for election. That bill was first introduced back in 2004 and keeps popping up every so often. Confiscation sounds like Nazi Germany in the late 1930's.

Loud is seen. My Harley is still stock and is really to quite for me. I'll be going to a Stage 1 this spring. I'll make it loud, but not to the point of distrubing the piece. What I wish they would crack down on is the Boom, Boom Bass CRAP from the radio's in the cages. I have a couple teenagers, I'll say teenagers on my block that have the bass so loud it would drowned out my Harley. At 2:00 am listening to the Rap Crap going down my street is were the law should crack down. I bet anyone that knows there bikes are loud, don't rev the engine to disturb the neighbors. Heck, again my bike is still stock, but in the morning I wheel it out to the street and start it. Not in the garage at 4:00 am. I agree with most posts, it's the money. Next we will see a tax based on the decibles your bike puts out. It's all about the money.

The noise ordanance that you guys are talking about is bill INT 416A that was to be heard before the N Y city council on Dec 18 2008. It was shelved when enough of us city riders called and Emailed our councilmen and reminded them that we vote also as a lot of them are up for election. That bill was first introduced back in 2004 and keeps popping up every so often. Confiscation sounds like Nazi Germany in the late 1930's.

Luckily for us, that Int 416-A was removed from the bill. This was obviously a bill from some one who has some personal agenda against the bikes. The whole thing was poorly written and sounded like some law from a dictatorship country. Reminds me of old Soviet Union. Good thing it did not go through. It just proves that if enough of us get together we can make a difference. Now I can actually enjoy putting on my V&H long shots without having second thoughts.

Here is part of an Email I sent to the Daily News, a NYC paper.
Page 50: Making noise: $1000 fine for first offense, $2500+confiscation of bike for second offense.
Page 8: Killing someone and leaving the scene while drunk driving: 16 days and $350 fine. I wonder if they confiscated the Mecedes SUV.
This was in the Jan 8 2009 issue.
How about all you NYC riders Emailing your city councilmen about this and let them know that we count and vote.
Print out a copy and put it up in your bike shop. Mine goes up tommorow.

This should of been first.
They are still thinking of bringing up for a vote after changing confiscation to the third offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed mine with an extensive letter. Hope it helps. Kit, if you don't mind me asking, where in NYC are you?

Back