free website stats program No More Roadglide in 2010??? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

No More Roadglide in 2010???

NOT TRUE! NOT TRUE! NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing in stone yet.

I live in York PA and though it's true the Motor Company has debated the thought of discontinuing the Roadglide, the bike is a rock solid revinue and profit performer. (According to a Friend in the HD Business office). It is easier to assemble on the line and it's popularity in CA alone is it's own survival mode. Let's face it, our beloved Electra just does not hold a candle to the versatility and preformance the Roadglide has, PERIOD! It's true that the majority of Roadglides HD sells are West of the Mississippi. High cross-wind resistance, comfort, and increased handling make the bike a winner on the west and anywhere really. It's Qwerky appearance is actually growing on people as of late and you can't open a Bagger mag without one hitting the feature section. The west coast Touring bike buyer is mor finiky and less loyal by tradition. If they take away the Roadglide, the Harly riders that need what it provides will instead buy Victoriy's and BMW's without batting an eye.

Let's do some reasoning?! Eh?

1. CVO chooses an ugly duckling, marginal seller to debut for the Screaming Eagle touring bike for 2009? I dont think so, not with a 3 year declining sales forcast. Not when your going to charge 30k+ for it in a weak market. and certainly not when your only going to sell them on the west coast.

2. Discontinue a motorcycle that shows western US sales growth and provides development revinue for an area of our country with very restrictive emissions and even more restrictive customizing laws (This means you would want a more profitable product for a region where parts sales would be at a minimum).

3. In a market that is emotional and knowing that there are very loyal Roadglide fans out there (myself included). Why would'nt they use it to their advantage to "stimulate" sales for a year, and advertise the end of a model type.

MORE RUMORS - Look for a different kind of RG, one with tripple digit HP #'s and water cooled. More nimble, reliable, profitable, performance centered, compeditively priced, and a true advance in technology for the Motor Company.

Let's Face it, if any of us rode a BMW LT1200 and did our reseach on them (I am ashamed to say I have) and based our decision solely on Price, Performance, Reliability, Comfort, cost of ownership, and basic Serviceability we would be bloging on a BMW Website rite noe & I would still be the owner of a BMW. So what stopped me you ask, Asthetics, Pride, and Community. Something about a Harly just says Freedom. Sometimes the most enjoable things are irrational. And those of us that ride the Roadglides know what it means to be irrational, but just like an ugly woman you can eventually find enough charm there to take her home..........

Sellisssn, i like your logic. Just got the new issue of Baggers, and yep, there's a Road Glide feature. In fact I can't remember the last time they didn't have at least one Road Glide feature. In my opinion it's the best looking bike HD makes. I like having a distinctive ride and the Glide is just that, even without customizing I won't have any problem picking my bike out of a sea of Harleys at Laconia. If the Motor Co. wants to use the Glide platform for a "luxury, high power, high tech touring bike I say bring it on. :bigsmiley12: Where do I sign up!

Sellisssn, I too approve of your logic and wish it was true. However, H-D has cancelled the Road Glide for 2010. We received a fax from them with the discontinued models and the discontinued colors. Unfortunatly that motorcycle is listed on them. Now, as for them coming out with something bigger and better to replace the Road Glide? That could very well be, and I hope they do, because as far as I am concerned, that is the best Touring bike Harley makes.

Yeah, That's just it. If you look at the overall sales of the motorcycles, it doesn't hold a candle to the Ultra Classic. I know that this depends on what area you are in as well, just like V-Rods sell really good down in the Florida area. But, like I was saying, the Road Glide is an awesome bike. I love the way it cuts through the wind, but when it comes to business numbers, Harley sells the Ultra Classic 20-1, and that's what they are going to look at. I did hear they may keep the Road Glide around to keep it's 2 year SE program legit.

Larry, just a little partial hmmm? I like the RK "C" and also think the RG is a nice machine...now comparing to ugly woman to take home...nope, I'll take the RG thank you...

BigLew, Chrishdguy and Budm not knocking rides...I personally like frame mounted fairing bikes, maintaining the light steering, and Smitty's bike looks mighty fine to me, even if I am not totally into the "International Orange"...but horror upon horrors, I am not into all black everything either.:bigsmiley18:

Bottom line, ugly is in the eyes of the beholder, boat tailed Harleys in the 70's is totally a different matter and was glad to see them relegated to the extinct status at HD (not really the "dark days" as some fondly refer). Just hope to embrace the new models, may we find them as enduring and controversial as the RG! :D

Based on what I've been reading from media sources, the MoCo is struggling to keep up sales overall. Its been said the customer base is older and the styling and offerings of their lineup is missing the younger crowd. So I would imagine what we're going to see is a morphing of styling and engineering plus amenities to reach the youngsters, the MoCo's lifeblood for the future. Its going to be all about overall numbers and a viable plan for the very immediate (!NOW!) future of stimulating interest (and sales) within the youngsters who are opting for the Japanese cruisers.

Soooooo, now both of my bikes are discontinued. No more Wide Glide, no more Nighttrain. Not so sure this will drive up the resale value on either in today's withered economic climate, but thats fine wit me, cuz da ain't fer sale.....:s

Wow glade I bought a 09 just about two months ago. So now it's a collectors item also. I have really enjoyed my ride also so comfortable. The only problem I've had is the shift into first cold. BIG CLUNK sound(HATE IT) is sounds so bad. But I only have 700 +/- miles on her so far. Still a virgin LOL.

I have 2004 RG with 25K miles on it and i'm sorry to see HD discontinue RG for 2010. If they come out with a newer and better RG with VROD type motor that would be awesome!

Back