free website stats program No more decell popping! | Harley Davidson Forums

No more decell popping!

horizonchaser

Contributor
I just had to write this. My '03 Ultra was notorious for deceleration popping. Every time I would back off on the throttle, especially while going down a hill, it would start "popping". It was pretty bad. I mentioned it on this forum and it was suggested that their might be air getting in the exhaust ( Glider ). Come to find out he was correct, the rear head exhaust pipe was split. I have since fixed that but still there was a decell popping, not as bad, but it still persisted. It was also suggested that a TFI would cure that. Well I finally had one installed last week and there is absolutely no more popping. I go down that same hill and back off the throttle and the RPM's, just to see if I can bring on a pop and nothing. No noise, no popping. Can't tell ya how happy I am now! :s

Thats great news! Yet another HDTimeline success story. Enjoy your quiet, cooler running ride.

It is amazing something so simple(user wise) and so inexpensive( comparatively) can do so much for these bikes. enjoy the ride...

I just had to write this. My '03 Ultra was notorious for deceleration popping. Every time I would back off on the throttle, especially while going down a hill, it would start "popping". It was pretty bad. I mentioned it on this forum and it was suggested that their might be air getting in the exhaust ( Glider ). Come to find out he was correct, the rear head exhaust pipe was split. I have since fixed that but still there was a decell popping, not as bad, but it still persisted. It was also suggested that a TFI would cure that. Well I finally had one installed last week and there is absolutely no more popping. I go down that same hill and back off the throttle and the RPM's, just to see if I can bring on a pop and nothing. No noise, no popping. Can't tell ya how happy I am now! :s

was it the GEN3? still waiting to get enough time off work to install mine

was it the GEN3? still waiting to get enough time off work to install mine
No Lorne. The Gen 2 was recommended for my bike by Matt at Dobeck. I asked him in my initial inquiry if the Gen 2 was somehow inferior to the latest Gen 3 & Gen 4 models and he said it wasn't at all. It has the screwdriver adjustable pots which some guys prefer. My take on it was so long as I got the performance out of it and it was relatively trouble free, then that was good enough for me.
We will be going on a long ride this weekend so I'll be keeping an eye on the gas mileage. I want to see if I use more or less gas as others have said. I would imagine it using more but I'll see. Let us know how you like yours.

All Dobeck Performance tuners are fantastic products & add flexability to range of bike tuning with/without upgrades. TFI, GEN3, GEN4 & beyond...all are available & recommended for many different m/c's & recreational vehicles. You won't find many bad reviews.

I had the same problem on my 04 RK. Installed the Gen 3 and the popping stopped, simple as that. I still get 40 mpg and the bike runs cooler.

All Dobeck Performance tuners are fantastic products & add flexability to range of bike tuning with/without upgrades. TFI, GEN3, GEN4 & beyond...all are available & recommended for many different m/c's & recreational vehicles. You won't find many bad reviews.

It was those overwhelmingly favorite reviews on this forum that helped me finally decide to purchase one.
After several years on this forum I started trusting the opinions of members whom I came to hold in high regard. Ordinarily I don't put too much stock on Internet reviews because I know that one company can slam a competitor with a slew of contrived unfavorable reviews. What I garnered from our forum was unbiased facts.
And so it will go with future mods for my bike! ;-)
WAP.gif

No Lorne. The Gen 2 was recommended for my bike by Matt at Dobeck. I asked him in my initial inquiry if the Gen 2 was somehow inferior to the latest Gen 3 & Gen 4 models and he said it wasn't at all. It has the screwdriver adjustable pots which some guys prefer. My take on it was so long as I got the performance out of it and it was relatively trouble free, then that was good enough for me.
We will be going on a long ride this weekend so I'll be keeping an eye on the gas mileage. I want to see if I use more or less gas as others have said. I would imagine it using more but I'll see. Let us know how you like yours.

installed mine today...love it i just stayed with the factory setting for now, i want to ride some more before i start paying with the settings. i use to have decel popping but that is gone now. anyone want to call my boss and tell him i need more time off

Back