free website stats program No Key Starting | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

No Key Starting

Anyone know how long the battery lasts. I assume it's a watch type battery and those go for years.

It is a watch type battery. A CR 2032 I believe. Mine has been going for 2 years and 7 months but I think I could be risking it pushing it that long. I do have my wallet card with my turn signal push code method as a backup just in case.

It is a CR2032 battery, available almost anywhere they sell batteries. Same battery as GM fobs, as in the Pontiac.
Owner's Manual recommends changing the key fob battery every year. Mine expired Spring after 3rd winter hibernation. Joked with a non-riding buddy (big Walmart fan) had to get a part at Walmart to get the bike started. :)

JackL: Enjoy your new Ride and many thousands of happy miles. Thanks for sharing your purchase adventure.

I believe the fob thing that disables the bike when you walk away started in 07, with the optional security system. Prior to that, you had to set it with one long push to disable it and two quick pushes of the button on the fob to unlock. I personally like the new system, knowing the bike can not be started unless I'm next to it and yes I do know how to start it with my code just in case.

Last edited:
My Fob security has quirks on my 08 Ultra Classic. I have to dink with it, try the pin, turn on and off a couple times, but it always starts. It would not make me mad to just remove the whole thing and go back to a key system. FWIW, I've left the Fob in the house, and when I went back to the scoot, it started :laugh, so I'm pretty careful to lock it up and the handlebars, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is not true for my 2001 Heritage. I have a key fob - but NEVER use it -- only the barrel key to lock and unlock. The fob stays at home and my bike starts each time I ask it too - hundreds of miles away - without a key fob.

BUT - my bike is OLD and I suppose they have enhanced the security since then.

Bill
Same here with my '03 Ultra. I lost my key and fob this past weekend. It was left in my locking glove box while I retrieved my sun glasses. I must've closed the door without removing the key and rode off. Well, I have spare keys so I can still lock the forks, Tour Pack & lowers and I can also ride the bike because it starts. I did enquire about purchasing a new fob. Dealer said they cost around $40.00 and $20.00 to reprogram it. I am going to do that just so I can have the fob again. Who knows? Maybe I'll start using it. :p

My Fob security has quirks on my 08 Ultra Classic. I have to dink with it, try the pin, turn on and off a couple times, but it always starts. It would not make me mad to just remove the whole thing and go back to a key system. FWIW, I've left the Fob in the house, and when I went back to the scoot, it started :laugh, so I'm pretty careful to lock it up and the handlebars, too.

:D Time to break out the Old Roget's.....

On my 02 it is programed to automaticaly set the alarm after 1 minute then 2 push's on fob it is disabled.Unless you don't turn on the ingnition within 1 minute then it resets.

Back