free website stats program No Key Starting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No Key Starting

Anyone know how long the battery lasts. I assume it's a watch type battery and those go for years.

My bike is three years old. I just replaced the batteries in both fobs as one of them was acting up. I do carry that card that has the manual over ride instructions with me just in case.

I love the fact that if I dont want my bike locked I can push a button every time I want to start it. then if I want to lock it I can. then I need a key.

Usually use the key since no alarm with my new ride! Key fob might be nice! Maybe next time. Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving and thanks to all of our servicemen and women! I really appreciate the freedom!

Coming to an airport near you - :small3d038:

Me too! Jackloganbill and dragon both have 2011's and seem to not have the fob as standard equipment? Maybe a change on the '11's ?

I know of 3 '07's that had the fob batterys die since July, mine included. A couple of weeks ago on a road trip, a guy at the motel's Chevy truck wouldn't start. I gave him my extra fob battery and he was good to go. Now to remember to replace it. :D

Got 2 key fobs with my 08 Heritage and one them started acting up just after 2 years. Replaced both batteries at same time and now let the little lady carry the extra one when we head out for an extended ride in the event mine acts up.

Think I will stash an extra battery in the tool pouch just in case :s

It is a watch type battery. A CR 2032 I believe. Mine has been going for 2 years and 7 months but I think I could be risking it pushing it that long. I do have my wallet card with my turn signal push code method as a backup just in case.

I carry the card as well as an extra battery in the tour pack. Its a pretty common battery number that you can pick up just about anywhere.

The security system was opional in 2010 ( I didn't get it ) ,I don't know about the 11's . Most days I don't even carry the key with me .I only have it when I might end up somewhere the bike may be parked a long time or a rough part of town . It's usally parked inside the shop at work ,so the no key start is cool with me.

No key starting....is this a good thing? I was very surprised that you don't need a key and unless the bike is locked, anyone can walk up and ride off without a key. Why did HD go this route?

Jack

Hey, options are GOOD. Personally I would have loved to have ignition knob on a console to start keyless...as others have stated, most of the Big Twin touring bikes have this feature, but most utilize the "keyless" fob security and immobilizer system, and if without the Security II system, the fact they "know" when to lock and when to go "keyless" for security or convenience respectively. :D

I dont need the key for my 2 big twins but tend to carry them and lock the bikes when left unattended i often chain the 2 bikes together but find it hard getting the chain through the solid rear wheel on the softail custom :s

Brian

Back