free website stats program no key ignition removal 91 flhtc | Harley Davidson Forums

no key ignition removal 91 flhtc

Can anyone tell me how to remove the ignition on a 91 flhtc it's in the unlock position but the keys are lost.Any help would be apreciated Thanks Ray

If ignition is in unlock position why would you need to remove lock assembly. Would there not be more of a concern with the saddlebags and tour pack locks???
If you are the owner take title, registration and driver license and go to Harley dealer and ask service to run VIN number and get key code then see parts to order new keys.

If ignition is in unlock position why would you need to remove lock assembly. Would there not be more of a concern with the saddlebags and tour pack locks???
If you are the owner take title, registration and driver license and go to Harley dealer and ask service to run VIN number and get key code then see parts to order new keys.
The local dealership said because of the age of the bike they can't look it up and get a key. The part is obsolete Oh and lack of planing, I bought the bike this way. Can anyone give me real help on this? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
The local dealership said because of the age of the bike they can't look it up and get a key. The part is obsolete Oh and lack of planing, I bought the bike this way. Can anyone give me real help on this? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ray

Unless I missed something dbmg did answer you're question and offered a suggestion. Jack also sent a site that address you're issue.

If you can reach under the switch with a screwdriver it should pop out if indeed the switch is in the on position. If not I would swing by a good lock smith

The answer to the OP is that, if the switch is in the OFF position, it can be removed as shown in the video that Jack posted and the internal switch position changed using a screw driver or the home made tool shown in the video. Without the OEM key and the ignition switch in place, the OP can operate the motorcycle with no issue; just can't lock the fork lock, the ignition switch or the bag locks.

dbmg has posted the way to get the correct key for the OPs bike; proof of ownership and VIN is all that is required. There PN for the OPs key is (61077-82) but the aforementioned proof of ownership and VIN will be required to fine the key code to order the keys. The factory requires that two key sets be purchased (don't ask me why or argue with the parts guys). I had to order keys for my '02 FLHT when I learned that the original owner sold me the bike with one of those keys used to open vending machines. IIRC, each set cost about $30 and the wait was about two weeks. If the OPs dealer doesn't cooperate, he should go to another dealer.

Really pretty simple problems.:24:

The op clearly stated his bike is a 1991. The switch knob is different than later models, and removal procedure is not the same as later models. Sorry I don't know the procedure.

Back