free website stats program No heat in my heated grips | Harley Davidson Forums

No heat in my heated grips

Jennmarr

Installed a set of HD heated grips on my '07 Ultra this spring. All was good until this week. They do not heat up at all. I have checked all the connections and fuses and cannot find a problem. I get battery voltage everywhere I check. Pulled the left grip this evening and checked for continuity at the connector going to the right grip. Meter shows 3.5 ohms resistance. A check of the other side of said connector shows battery voltage, but I still don't have warm grips. I am at a loss where to look next.

Pull the fuse and check for Continuity to ground at all the places you checked for battery voltage.

I am not certain I performed the check correctly, but it shows open everywhere when I check continuity to ground. Shouldn't I see some resistance on that? If I understand the schematic, I should be reading whatever resistance is in the grips.

There is an open circuit on the ground side of the circuit, Could be at the final connection to ground, a broken wire inside the insulation at the crimp or somewhere the grip/heater and where you grounded the heater.

I would also consider using (if you have one) the spare switch to turn your heated grips on and off. I found it aggravating using the temp switch to also turn it on an off.

I finally got back to working on this problem. Thanks to 03Ultra4385 I was able to get this sorted out over the weekend. I now have heat in my heated grips again. The problem turned out to be an improperly seat pin in the plug connecting the right and left grip. Thanks again. I couldn't have solved this without help.

Back