free website stats program No Fire - help needed please | Harley Davidson Forums

No Fire - help needed please

2001FLHT

2001 FLHT CARB MODEL.

I was ideling rough and popping back through carb during trip to Daytona. It ran good on interstate. I arrived home ok and parked. Went out the next morning to adjust my fuel sending unit in the gas tank ( I replaced it because it went bad and the float was too high to read correctly) After adjusting the sending unit I tried to start it up and I have NO FIRE.
I read that it could be the Crank sensor? I removed it and it looked clean.
Any help greatly appreciated.

The float and sending unit is just for the fuel guage and the fuel pump is in there also, when you turn the ign on can you hear the fuel pump for 5 secounds? Sometimes one of the pins can get bent when plugging the connector back in on top of the tank. If it ran before you were in there that is where I would look for trouble first. What do you mean by no fire? If you're checking for spark, do it with a extra spark plug so you can leave the two plugs in there cylinders to give a compression reading to the ECM.

I tried checking the spark with both plugs in the cylinders. It is not firing at all in either cylinder. Any suggestions appreciated.

The ruff idle and running ruff sounds like that could be the cam position sensor, I think 01was the last year they used them, have you checked for any trouble codes. if it's electrical it should be throwing codes

I think the rough idling was the spark plugs are ready to be replaced. It was running basically normal when I shut it down. Then when I tried to start it the next day, it is not firing,

I know this is pretty basic, but did you check for codes and ignition fuse? Electrical is the simplist thing to "close down the show"!

When my cam sensor went bad it would take longer to start and then it would backfire, but it would run. It showed codes 41 42 and 56. I changed both of the sensors but it actually was the cam sensor upon futher inspection.
kemo

I think the rough idling was the spark plugs are ready to be replaced. It was running basically normal when I shut it down. Then when I tried to start it the next day, it is not firing,
The other question is can you here the fuel pump kick on when the ign is turned on? If it fired before you got into the tank, it would only make sense that some is not right after reassembly, if one of the plug pins on top of the tank was bent and the fuel pump is not working the ECM might disable the the spark.

Yes, its a carb, and I never tried to start it before pulling the sending unit out of the tank. I don't think that had anything to do with it not firing.
What would go out after shutting it down from a 9 hr hard run and cause it not to fire?

Back