free website stats program no brakes?? | Harley Davidson Forums

no brakes??

kennyw

good afternoon,
having a problem with my rear brake on my 1200custom sporty 2005,going into work the other night the pedal went really sloppy,next day bleed the brakes felt good & firm,went out for a ride & pedal went sloppy again,came back took the pads out they were fine cleaned caliper ,refitted pads,bled them a few times & now no brakes at all?but when i was bleedingthem(2 man way)when pedal was depressed fluid would spit out of the resevoir,does that mean blockage in master cylinder?thanks for your help in advance,:(
ride safe

good afternoon,
having a problem with my rear brake on my 1200custom sporty 2005,going into work the other night the pedal went really sloppy,next day bleed the brakes felt good & firm,went out for a ride & pedal went sloppy again,came back took the pads out they were fine cleaned caliper ,refitted pads,bled them a few times & now no brakes at all?but when i was bleeding them(2 man way)when pedal was depressed fluid would spit out of the resevoir,does that mean blockage in master cylinder?thanks for your help in advance,:(
ride safe

As you depress the pedal, you should see a small fountain in the master. This a relief and is normal.

But the symptoms you are describing are not good. Check that the Banjo bolts are not loose at the caliper and master. Then, I would suggest you get some clear plastic tubing (like from the pet store for fish tank air lines) that will fit on the bleeder valve nipple. Submerge the other end in enough brake fluid to cover the opening. Then as you pump off the air, it will bubble in the jar of fluid. You will be able to see when you have completely flushed all the air out of the lines and the caliper when no air bubbles enter the clear hose. Flush enough clean fluid through the system to have replaced 150% of the volume at least. The fluid coming out should look exactly like it does in the new bottle of brake fluid from the store.

Try that way and see if it holds. If you are having the same problem, let us know.

It is not unusual to get a spurt of brake fluid coming up through the wee hole in the bottom centre as the rear seal on the master cylinder will push the fluid
but your brake system problem sounds to me either a leak in the system someplace or the seals in the master cylinder have failed
now would be the ideal time to rebuild your brake system you will need a master cylinder rebuild kit there should be instructions in your service manual on how to rebuild the master cylinder but it is a fairly simple process and similar to almost any bike master cylinder rebuild that i have done in the past
Although your bike is a wee bit more modern than mine i don't think brake master cylinders have changed much

Brian

thanks for getting back so quick,i used the method you stated,clear tube into a jar,i did expell some air,but after using 3/4 bottle of dot 5 no more air was coming out,i will check the banjo fitting,that will be tomorrow now,its raining.hailing & getting dark,will post results,once again thank you
ride safe

That is the compensator port doing its job, try bleeding again, shake the brake hose this will help work out trapped air.:s

hi all update,tried to bleed again still nothing,took master cyclinder off stripped it down,one off the seals had split & there was a piece floating around,so a trip down to my stealer, rebuild kit ordered eta 7 days :( .looks like i will be useing the 125cc for work .
thanks for all your tips & help
ride safe

Just make sure you are wearing your alternative gear when on the 125 so that no one recognises you
mind you a good 125 can be fun on the right road :D

Brian

2005 Sportster and already have to rebuild the M/C. Sounds like a regular brake fluid purge was not done for the life of the bike. I would use a turkey baster and remove as much brake fluid as possible (do not uncover hole at the bottom. Just be patient, and tap the lines from the wheel all the back to the M/C...your ride witll be ready before you know it.

picked up m/c repair kit thurs nite,sorted out fri afternoon,booked in for mot monday nite,its great to be off the 125cc,thanks for all your help & advice.
ride safe

Back