free website stats program No Bearings in 96? | Harley Davidson Forums

No Bearings in 96?

blyter

Read an article in American Iron some two or three months ago in Donny Peterson's "Tech Line" stating the 96's were now being manufactored without cam plate bearings. Reference was made to "Native Bearing Material" whatever the duece that is...that the MOCO is depending on a 'finer micro filter' and who knows what else...maybe changing the oil every month. If this isn't a blatant statement of planned obsolescence I don't know what is. Anybody wanna buy an '07 fxdwg cheap?:49:

Read an article in American Iron some two or three months ago in Donny Peterson's "Tech Line" stating the 96's were now being manufactured without cam plate bearings. Reference was made to "Native Bearing Material" whatever the duece that is...that the MOCO is depending on a 'finer micro filter' and who knows what else...maybe changing the oil every month. If this isn't a blatant statement of planned obsolescence I don't know what is. Anybody wanna buy an '07 fxdwg cheap?:49:
How Cheap?
Your losing sleep over a good thing.
TC96s along with 2006 Dyna TC88s no longer use the very prone to trouble outer cam bearings, instead the cam plate serves as the bearing, like a automotive style shell bearings without the 2 piece shell.
They also changed the spring loaded cam chain tensioner and "Silent" chain with a Hydraulic chain tensioner and single row roller chain.
If you stay with cams that have less then .600" lift the new set-up will last as long as the rest of the engine.
If you want to run big cams, turn lots of RPMs and make big HP a switch to Gear Drive cams is called for.

I'm curious about this too. I think I have heard that the bearings on the inboard side of the cam are a different size than in previous years, and there is no bearing on the outboard side. After reading the same article, I am left wondering if there are different requirements for cams for the 07 engines, or whether cams that worked in 06 and older will fit. I think Donny could have been a little clearer on that point. I am looking at changing cams to gear drive because I don't like the idea of chunks of plastic running through my engine, but don't know what to do now. :dknow

I'm curious about this too. I think I have heard that the bearings on the inboard side of the cam are a different size than in previous years, and there is no bearing on the outboard side. After reading the same article, I am left wondering if there are different requirements for cams for the 07 engines, or whether cams that worked in 06 and older will fit. I think Donny could have been a little clearer on that point. I am looking at changing cams to gear drive because I don't like the idea of chunks of plastic running through my engine, but don't know what to do now. :dknow
Let's see if can help you.
All 2007 TC96 engines and SE TC110 engines as well as 2006 Dyna model TC88 engines use different cams from all other year model bikes.
The cams have different inner needle bearings and a plain "no bearing outer cam support" The cam support itself is made from an alloy that serves as a bearing.
They also switched to a different style chain drive for the cams and a tensioner that uses the engines oil pressure to keep tension on the cam drive chain, instead of the older models spring which was/is very unreliable!! :60:

The new HD cams are also modular whereas the older cams were ground from a solid piece. BIG difference.

What was harley thinking when they went to these cams and the press fit cranks? Must have been a big savings to make them like that and be in for some surprises. The cranks can't hold up to nearly as much power as the older ones. Time will tell. The 110's are showing the problems already with the cranks.

Should be interesting.

What was harley thinking when they went to these cams and the press fit cranks? Must have been a big savings to make them like that and be in for some surprises. The cranks can't hold up to nearly as much power as the older ones. Time will tell. The 110's are showing the problems already with the cranks.

Should be interesting.
Bean counters not enginers designing :49:
We've been using the S&S billet crank and H beam rods.

I hang on every word Donny Petersen has to say and looks like maybe glider could wind up being like that too. Donny has serious reservations about the MOCO new "Parent Material Bearing" set up on the cam support plate of the 96TC. The latest article I read (not in AIM) about the manufacturing of parts that employee the so called parent material bearings or "plain bearings" said that tectnology is now used where alloy manipulation can concentrate certain types of alloy in desired areas of billet material where the bearings will be milled and drilled. Making that area harder and better suited for a plain type bearing. Sounds a bit like Voodo to me, but who knows. Like was said earlier, time will tell. I repair lawnmowers, which a lot less complicated that a HD engine. Briggs has gone to using plain bearings on the crankshafts and from what I'm seeing...Give me a needle, ball, roller or even a bushing bearing over the plain anytime.(maybe they don't know about the voodo thingy yet??) I think maybe its all about the money.
Mac2000HS

I think no bearings will be a good deal, some cars have had this for a long time and Goldwings have had this and there is lots of them with over 200,000 miles, one less thing to go wrong, not saying the cam plate cant wear but it wont trash a motor if it does. Plus as an added bonus it is very easy to swap cams Todd

Back