free website stats program No air in my air shocks....aftermarket suggestions? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No air in my air shocks....aftermarket suggestions?

My 10 Ultra leaked down also ,at 1000 mile service they replaced the valve stem.Over 14000 miles later I'm still good.

That's good to know, thanks mlrc10. How often do you need to add air?

I dropped it off at the dealership tonight and will post back here to report as soon as I get it back. (they told me that it might be because I wasn't using Harley Davidson air. After market air might void my warranty. HA! just kidding!! )

If this is a 2010 model make them fix it under warranty, should be an easy fix for the dealer:s

Check it every couple or three weeks.May lose 3 or 4 lbs in that time ,and I ride it almost every day

O.k., got the bike back today.

They said the schrader valve/connection (where you add air) was loose and leaking. They removed it, cleaned and reassembled as well as cleaned all hose connections on both shock sides. It looks like they lubed the fittings as well and used teflon tape on the valve pieces during re-assembly. Seems fine now. I'll continue to monitor. All covered under warranty.

In all the years of my bike ownership (20+ years), I've never had a bike with an air system type shock, and I have never had a single shock problem either.
I always was very skeptical of any air assist shock, be it car or bike. Just sayin'. I'm still gonna' keep looking for a reliable shock upgrade (but not in a hurry).

The stock HD shocks are a good shock IMO. I ride my 08 bike every day and the shocks on my bike don't leak any air at all. I can set the air to 10lbs and 6 months later it will still be at 10lbs. The thing with the aftermarket shocks is that it has pre-set load settings so you have to settle for the closes setting that feels just right while the HD shock can be adjusted to that just right feeling. Now that the leak is taken care of give yourself some seat time on your bike and find the correct air pressure that works for you before you make a decision on changing to aftermarket shocks. You may end up liking the HD shocks and you can save some money.

Back