free website stats program No 2010 ROAD GLIDE ? Wrong! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

No 2010 ROAD GLIDE ? Wrong!

A buddy of mine has an 08' RG and has the Clearshield - "don't waste your money" he told me. My HD dealer has a Clockwerks that was returned - didn't work. The wind is coming from under the faring and above faring remedies are a waste of $$$$. Try riding at 63mph - no wind. Gale force at 65mph. My passenger take a bunch of the buffeting off me. Waiting for somebody to make clamp-on fork tube diverters. Might try the kind that comes stock with a Victory OR just be happy at 62mph........anyway, still the best ride I've ever had.

You are absolutely correct in that most the the wind comes up from around your knees, A different windshield can help a little bit, but to get the best results you must add lowers to the mix. Between the two, it ain't bad at all.

I didn't think much about the wind coming from under the fairing. I do know that changing from the stock shield to the shorter one made a big difference, so I assumed it was mostly a problem with it coming over the top. My wife gets much more wind now too and wants me to put the other one back on but I can't stand to look through the thing.

Lowers huh? Learn something every time I get on here.

Already put this out somewhere else on the Forum but, take a look at the new Wind Vest Road Glide Shield. They come in 2 sizes, 10" or 12" and 3 shades, clear/gunsmoke/darksmoke. The Wind Vest looks like a stock shield but has the "Laminer Curve" at the top, like the Clearview but more pronounced. I'm 6' and have the 10", it's about 4" below my line of sight but with the curve I only get wind on the very top of my helmet. Had the Kloc Werks shorty, didn't werk, seen the Klock Werks tall one, heard it werks but it's.....well........ugly. I like the looks and protection from the Wind Vest, sides, I can hear my tunes at 80+ again.

Thanks billnapabill, I will definitely have to look into the WInd Vest. If you squat down 2" do you still think it is out of your line of sight enough?

Yep........normally you want your line of sight to be about 1-2" above the windshield. That's so your not looking through it because it distorts but if you need to (like when it starts raining) you can duck down behind it. The Wind Vest 10" is about 4" below my line of sight and I'm 6', it would be perfect for someone in the 5'6" to 5' 10" range, taller people should get the 12". With the curve on the Wind Vest, I'd say it "rides" about 3-4" higher than it really is or if it didn't have the curve you'd have to get a windshield 3-4" taller to get the same protection.

I didn't think much about the wind coming from under the fairing. I do know that changing from the stock shield to the shorter one made a big difference, so I assumed it was mostly a problem with it coming over the top. My wife gets much more wind now too and wants me to put the other one back on but I can't stand to look through the thing.

Are we talking about lowers like those that are on the Ultra Glide? I just don't like how they look. Anyone know of any other options?

I have the Windvest 12" smoke windshield on my RG & love it , I had the Klock Werks 12" & it work & looked good but I like the Windvest a little better . Also you can get a set of soft lowers from HD that fit your bike for around $45 and there is no alterations needed they will snap on & off just fine even with footpegs mounted on the highway bars . I like the soft lowers because I can carry them in the saddlebags & install them when needed & they do a very good job protecting my feet & lower legs . Most of the wind I get comes from when the air hits the engine & already passes the fairing , the air then deflects upward and to the sides of the engine it then hit my legs & travel upwards , the RG fairing does a good job deflecting the air IMO

Back