free website stats program NJ Govenor orders flag at half mast for Whitney Houston | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

NJ Govenor orders flag at half mast for Whitney Houston

That is my thoughts too, or people that have devoted to public service (too bad there are so many corrupt ones though). Although I wonder if there would be as much outcry about this if Houston wasn't a drug addict? We will never know, that is why I thought it interesting that there was nothing mentioned when they did it for Clarence Clemmons.

Yes....We are on the same page....It also is good to see new members such as yourself......You also bring up a interesting point.....Mat

I think as long as we have men and women at war, it should fly at half mast. This means it would be there all the time, honoring the true hero's that are not even mentioned in the news as we lose them routinely. Sorry, but flying it half staff for any entertainer is messed up when we have young men and women dying unnoticed. He should be ashamed of himself, I sure am ashamed of him as a state official in this country.:58:

i guess to each his own but i guess we dont have to agree.i seen in our local paper today where gov.Christie is getting ready to sign a bill to allow same-sex
marriage REEEEAAAAALY. like i said in early post i guess i just dont fit in with todays society

Actually, he veto'd the bill which was passed by both houses, as he said he would. As I said before, while I generally like what the guy does, this one has me baffled.....

Yeah Christie really stepped in it on this one. This is a complete dishonor to all those who have given their lives to protect the freedom of people like her to make stupid choices. Was she a brave soldier? Was she an honored head of state? No she was a singer, a great but misguided singer, and that is all she was. I'm sorry she met such a sad end, but she choose that path, and she is no example for anyone.

In the scheme of things this really doesn't matter at all.
The world has much more wrong with it that whether a flag should be raised or lowered.
Fix the big things first. The little things go away by themselves.

As far as Houston is concerned; she was a singer. That's it. A singer.
Why people idolize singers and actors and other ill-behaving semi-humans baffles me.
If we looked up to people who really mattered, like scientists, doctors, police, fire, teachers etc. the world might make a bit more sense to me.
However I guess that isn't exciting enough for some. Living vicariously through the life of another seems to be the only life some people have.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. Carry on.
Thank you, thank you very much.:D

Although I also believe that this honor should be given only to true heros, and those that served the public. I've heard this talked about on the radio a few times and here were a couple of facts that were mentioned.

1. This is only for the state of NJ, not nationally. It has been said that Houston has done a lot for the state and the people of NJ (Don't know if that is true or not).
2. The Gov does have the authority to put flags at half mast for his state to honor anyone that he feels deserves it. So he is not overstepping his authority.
3. The NJ flags were at half mast for Clarence Clemmons when he died, and there was no opposition to it.
4. The president had the nations flags at half mast for the students killed at VA Tech, and they did not serve their country and would not be considered heros.

Again, not my position, just some things mentioned on talk radio that were interesting to note.

Well if any entity State or Federal wants to fly their flag at half mast for someone then I guess that is their decision. But I would think that if it's flown that way for any given entity chosen, then it would seem morally required that it be also flown that way for "EVERY" Veteran that dies under the that State or Federal entity. And last time I checked they don't generally lower the state flags on every Veteran that comes home in a box.

So there is some gravity to think about here. Not discounting Mrs Houston or anyone else the Govenor choses to fly his flag for. Just would not go along not including "all" Veterans which I consider a step above. I just have always felt that way about WW1 Vets on up. Greater love has no man that he lay down his life for another.

In the scheme of things this really doesn't matter at all.
The world has much more wrong with it that whether a flag should be raised or lowered.
Fix the big things first. The little things go away by themselves.

As far as Houston is concerned; she was a singer. That's it. A singer.
Why people idolize singers and actors and other ill-behaving semi-humans baffles me.

If we looked up to people who really mattered, like scientists, doctors, police, fire, teachers etc. the world might make a bit more sense to me.
However I guess that isn't exciting enough for some. Living vicariously through the life of another seems to be the only life some people have.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. Carry on.
Thank you, thank you very much.:D

It has been said that because America has no royalty like England, Hollywood stars are the closest we come to royalty. I will agree it is shame how involved some get with these Hollywood types...:no

But then She did live in Mendham

No, she didn't. She left NJ years ago as that home went up for foreclosure. Christie is a joke that only now the people of that state are beginning to realize.

Lance Cpl. Osbrany Montes De Oca of North Arlington, NJ died within a day or Houston. But Christie hasn't said a word about him. Christie's a media (EDIT)
like every other politician.

Moderator Note: Please read our rules on language
Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back