free website stats program Nitrogen vs Compressed Air | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Nitrogen vs Compressed Air

Thanks for the info. Guess I've got some checking to do. I'll look for some type of puncture and any leaking at the valve stems. Leaving for Biketoberfest next week. Don't want a problem on the trip.

I have a question if your tires have had compressed air in them before as most or all have. Would'nt you have to get the moisture out of the tire before you fill it with Nitrogen. I work in the HVAC field and for refrigeration system were it's very important to remove moisture. We use nitrogen to test systems because it dosn't carry moisture but we use vacume pumps to pull the systems down to like 500 microns to be sure all the moisture is removed. But then again I guess it's not as important to remove all the moisture from a tire and I'm sure the Nit. filled tire would be drier than with air.:57:

I, like most bikers (not all), do all of my own wrenching. It is true that a properly inflated tire will yield better fuel consumption. If you have your tires filled with nitrogen.........it's not going to be the most economical option for most "do it yourself" wrenches.

The bottom line is:
1) check your tire pressure often.
2) use a compressor that is well maintained and drained of all moisture

To me........nitrogen is a waist of money period! It is an needless "up-sell" to the average consumer. It gives the average consumer a false sense of security. It's as bad as post 911 airline security measures. I could kill you quicker and more efficiently with the #2 sharpened pencil that I am allowed to carry on in my briefcase than I could with the 4" nail file that they would take away from me at the SP. Go figure! But they make you think that you are MUCH safer now. Are you?:D

Back