free website stats program Nitrogen vs Compressed Air | Harley Davidson Forums

Nitrogen vs Compressed Air

Has anyone used nitrogen in place of compressed air? With the change in temps, from day to night and on long rides and parking over night, I have lost around 4 to 5 psi. Just wondering if this has been tried.

It's been in practice for quite some time already. IMO, if you inflate the tires properly and check them periodically, it's not needed. Cold tire pressures will drop at night but if you start off with the proper pressure, it should remain fairly constant barring any leaks.

There's other posts on the forum about this also.

Has anyone used nitrogen in place of compressed air? With the change in temps, from day to night and on long rides and parking over night, I have lost around 4 to 5 psi. Just wondering if this has been tried.

Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires and struts because it is very dry. Any moisture at 35,000 ft will freeze. In the tires it helps prevent rot, and in struts, corrosion. Nitrogen will not prevent leak down. If you have a leak that leaks air, it's gonna leak nitrogen too. :(

cool, thanks glider. i was just wondering about it, i know that i do not have any leaks, i just got back from a trip to tn and would check my pressures every morning and the rear would be 4 to 5psi low.

Check the valve for leakage and also the tire for any nails. They should hold pressure barring the differences for temp changes. Nitrogen would leak out also if there was a leak so that's not the "cure" in this case if it is constantly low.

Tires are pourous which will cause them naturally to lose air with the use of nitrogen the nitrogen molecules are larger the oxygen molecules which slows the natural loss of air pressure. but to lose 4-5 pounds over night will generally mean you have a leak. and do not try to repair it by using tire leak sealers for they will ruin the tire and cause the balance to be off which will give you a shake.

Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires and struts because it is very dry. Any moisture at 35,000 ft will freeze. In the tires it helps prevent rot, and in struts, corrosion. Nitrogen will not prevent leak down. If you have a leak that leaks air, it's gonna leak nitrogen too. :(

Compressed air can be equally dry as nitrogen. It has to do wih the compressor being used. Air pumped for Scuba tanks is essentially free of moisture.

smitty..Do you use the same pressure on the gauge filling your tires?...example...you would fill a tire to 35 lbs. if using an air compressor....so would you still fill your tire to 35 lbs. using nitrogen?..Is there an expansion ratio or just fill to the same pressure?

Last edited:
You guys have got me thinking about what would be "normal" loss of air pressure in my "03 wide glide. Stock wheels (21" front, 16" back) and tires. I've replaced both front and rear tires over the past year. The front loses about 2 psi every 7 to 10 days. The rear only loses 1 or 2 psi every 2 to 3 weeks. Does that sound ok?

Back