free website stats program Nightster won't start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Nightster won't start

I sure hope this is the problem, I hate throwing money at something that doesn't run just to make it run again. Hate it!!

If that is true, you can remove the plugs, ground the coil outputs, clip on an AC voltmeter to the unplugged crank sensor,,place meter in 20 volt range, crank engine and see what you read. 2 volts or less, I would say it meeds to be changed. A new one should should a good 3.5 volts.

Not a proof positive test but it will let you sleep better.

my bad couldn't read my own handwriting... That was supposed to read P0132.... Engine running rich? My bad Dog, my bad

10/4. Probably caused from crank sensor mis-fire. Raw dump of fuel out the exhaust & o2 sensor posted a code. I would disregard it for now. Get the crank error code fixed first & this one may fix itself..

Not a proof positive test but it will let you sleep better.

So will Jack Daniels!!!!! I think I'm gonna go that route tonight, I'm pretty EDIT off at the whole situation. Always better to wrench on something when the sting of not being able to start the old girl up doesn't still hurt!!!

10/4. Probably caused from crank sensor mis-fire. Raw dump of fuel out the exhaust & o2 sensor posted a code. I would disregard it for now. Get the crank error code fixed first & this one may fix itself..

That code only came up once, the first time. So it seems that one is gone with the first clearing..... Every code since has been crank position sensor related......

Yeah funny how it'll start cold.... but I can't really even let the clutch the whole way out without it stalling.....

I'll get her figured out tomorrow morning hopefully.... Until then, I've got some drinkin to do

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope this is the problem, I hate throwing money at something that doesn't run just to make it run again. Hate it!!

Think of it this way.You already saved yourself a trailer trip (which apparently youd need to borrow)to the dealer.Surely thered be a diagnostic expense.Then the minimum labor charge.With that code, theyre replacing that sensor either way.

Id say you just saved yourself about $200 and a saturday afternoon.Welcome to HD Talking.Isnt this place great.:D

CKP sensor is fairly cheap (one of the few hard items under $100 ($70 I think) but you can try and clean it first, clear the codes and see if problem comes back after a few rides (I would order one anyway...so no lost riding time), since my HD is my daily driver...Just my way! :s

Wow, maybe even less than that. I just checked the price on mine (2009 FXDL) and it was $54.70 MSRP. Not bad at all.!

Think of it this way.You already saved yourself a trailer trip (which apparently youd need to borrow)to the dealer.Surely thered be a diagnostic expense.Then the minimum labor charge.With that code, theyre replacing that sensor either way.

Id say you just saved yourself about $200 and a saturday afternoon.Welcome to HD Talking.Isnt this place great.:D

I have all the stuff to haul it trailer etc.... and dear lord no I would never ever take my bike to the dealer, no more warranty. I can fix anything they can, sometimes I just need a point in the right direction. That's why I'm here, to figure out this little problem

By the way how much is a genuine Harley Davidson anger management module?

Back