Nightster warm up

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by tomd922, Apr 22, 2012.

1. tomd922

tomd922 New Member

I just purchased my first HD. I want to commute to work but this thing has aftermarket pipes and it's really loud! I love the sound but my neighbors not so much. My question is: how long should I let my bike warm up before I take off? I leave at 6am and if I start it and take right off my neighbors won't complain too much but if I let it sit there and warm up I may have issues.

2. ahern25

ahern25 Active Member

Get your neighbors some ear plugs. :tounge

3. lorne

lorne Senior Member

welcome to the forum. what year is the bike? is it an older Evo?

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Rear rocker box warm to touch:s

5. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

I leave the house at 4:20 a.m. most mornings to be in work by five. I wake my son up with the garage door opening. He lives above the garage. :( His choice. Then, I start my bike and wait no more than 30 seconds while I fiddle with last minute adjustments like the helmet strap, closing the garage door, fastening on my gloves, etc.. Then I gently pull out of my driveway and down the road being mindful of my sleeping neighbors. I've received no complaints. There is a time to get on the throttle and then there is a time not to get on the throttle and 4:20 a.m. is not one of those times! :D

6. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

With the TCs, you do not need to warm up the engine prior to heading out. The "warm up the engine" issue is a hold over from the EVO which does need to have a warm up period so that the engine top end swells enough to tighten up on the base gaskets. The TC does not have that issue. So a few seconds towards a half min or so is enough to get the oil pressure up and circulating. Then I would be a bit pampery with the bike for the first few miles. Once the valve covers are warm to the touch, good to GO!!

TQ

7. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I agree that no warm up is needed if you just gently ride until the engine is warm. I never warm my bikes more than a few seconds before pulling out.

8. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I think you are "A" Most Considerate Biker.

I Too keep Quiet and Like said in the above post, Start and 30 seconds max, Off Slow using a light throttle...Just like You.

You will have to give the up-stairs guy some Ear-plugs. :tounge

signed....BUBBIE

9. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

Ditto on what was said, I too have neighbors and do my best to be conciderate.

10. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

Heh, heh. He is living there dirt cheap so I think my opening the garage door and disturbing his slumber is a small price to pay. :D
    I think we are light on the throttle because we are considerate of our neighbors as most of us seem to be. But on the open road it's another story! :s

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012