free website stats program Nightster fuel tank replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Nightster fuel tank replacement

blacknightster1

Hey everyone, I've scoured the web and can't get any real solid ideas or directions for replacing my tank. Last winter, while resting comfortably in my garage, my nightster tank was dented by shelf that decided to fall. I've recently bought another tank, same model and all, and was looking for some general advice. Is this just a quick switch? Discon the fuel line and take some bolts out? Are there any seals i need to replace when moving the fuel pump to the new tank? Thanks in advance for the help!

I believe there is a gasket that goes along the base of the fuel pump assembly. (Don't have the PN though) If you can just get the gasket instead of a whole kit, it might be worth doing for piece of mind, but if it were me, I'd use the old one - assuming it's in good condition. Tank removal is easy, as you stated, but be careful if you have fuel in it when you remove it, they can get aways from you if you aren't expecting it.

Thanks Tom, I swapped it out this afternoon. Really easy to do and I did re-use the gasket. Now i gotta find a place to fix my old tank and get some new paint on it!

Good job...now I say it's time for a nice "custom" paint job to add another look to the bike.

Back