free website stats program Nightster does not start after wash | Harley Davidson Forums

Nightster does not start after wash

My 09' Nightster does not start after I washed it. I think I got water somewhere in there. I washed the bike past weekend (4 days ago).
When I turn on the ignition key and press the ignition button I hear the fuel-pump go on, then I see the light go on and off, then when I press the Start button I hear the click-click-click-click sound but the engine does not start. I am not sure what could be wrong?

The bike is new and only has couple hundred miles on it. Still under warranty, but not sure if the dealer will cover it since it was my fault.

I don't know much about bikes but would appreciate if someone can give suggestion on what I can troubleshoot myself before I take it to the dealer. I don't want to get ripped off.

I would appreciate any suggestions...

Remove, clean and reinstall the battery cables, and check the fuse panel for white corrosion.

Thanks Glider and Hobbit for the suggestions. I am actually doing all of that this weekend. I've already removed all the fuses. I saw a lot of white fur all over the fuse box. I am replacing all new fuses. I also just bought die-electric greese and plan on putting it on the weekend.

Question.... how do i clean / remove all the white fur thats already there? Just with a cloth?

Oh by the way I've also disconnected the battery and the ECM. I've removed the ECM and allow to dry just incase there's any water in it. I will let it dry for 2 days.

Any other suggestions???

Oh one more stupid thing I might have done. I think because of how the Nightster Oil tank lid is, I just realised that it was not closed properly all the way. I am not sure if water got into the oil tank when I washed it. Could this be the problem as well?

I hate myself!!!!

Do you hook up to a battery tender when the bike is not in use? That will help maintain the life of the battery.

glider, I will certainly have to try that link you gave to create a protective case for the fuse box. Thanks.

glider, question.... sorry i am new to bikes and never changed oil myself yet. how do i drop the oil? which pipe to pull?

could the water have gone in the engine itself?

Darmon, no i haven't hooked my batter to a battery tender this winter. I guess I should do that. But this was brand new bike i just bought right before winter so i figured it's brand new battery so this past winter i would not need to hookup to a battery tender.

There should be a hose that dead ends onto a bung on the frame that comes out the bottom of the oil tank with a clamp on it. Remove that and drain in to a pan and inspect it or just replace it.

Some water may have gotten into the engine if you ran the motor after washing but if you replace the oil, take the bike for a nice long ride and the water will be boiled off that remains in smaller quantities as long as you get the motor hot and put some miles on it (maybe 50-100).

glider, very nice post on the Fuse Cover!!! i printed the template to exact measurements (it took me like 7 tries to get exact measurements on my printer). i will defenately try that out and let you know how it works.

Before draining the oil i will try to clean the fuse box, put di-electric greese, replace all corroted fuses, clean the battery connections, and give it a try. if the engine still does not start then i will drain the oil and replace new oil.

btw, how do i clean the white corrotion from the fuse box? plain cloth? or something else?

Back