Nightster Bars

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by pete malone, Sep 17, 2008.

1. pete malone

pete malone Member

Has anybody changed the Bars on their Nightster ? I am thinking of either straight drag bars with a Riser or even the Old Fashion curved bars that bend in. I would appreciate any ideas or photos of what you've done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pete malone

pete malone Member

Thanks Hobbit, I might give those a try. That will be mine finished then (honestly).Will post pictures when done.

3. pete malone

pete malone Member

Any more ideas from anybody ? I might just go for the Mini Apes because they do look good.

4. theklanchXL1200N

theklanchXL1200N Active Member

I put on 4" risers a while back. I ended up putting a tool bag between the speedo and the brow over the headlight.

I am thinking about switching my bars eventually. I'm not sure what I'll go with definately not drag bars and probably not mini apes. I haven't seen anything that really strikes me yet....

You are going to have to tweak your brake line or change it to a braided version. I got mine from Dennis Kirk in the black braided line. It is long enough to put on taller bars if I want to. I did have to re-route the wiring slightly, no big deal.

Completely off the subject, I have to go in the garage and do some wrenching of the miserable variety. I had to replace the clutch in my S-10 pickup, the flywheel is on it's way back from the machine shop and I get to wrestle the darn tranny back into it's home. So I am exactly half way done. My dad and I keep arguing the idea that GM designed the truck to have the tranny removed like this, you know on your back with a trouble light in your garage. He says the engineers design them to be taken apart piece by piece. I beg to differ as it is really tight under that little pickup. Oh well it's been fun father son banter laughing and swearing (mostly swearing) a couple of flesh wounds to this point (slippery mag-lite) but I should be done sometime this evening......... I have a one car garage and my two buddies park their bikes here, so the three bikes have been sitting in the driveway thank goodness no rain, but I woke up this morning and a bird pooped all over the seat of my nightster. I think I'm cutting the tree down every time I park anything under that tree it gets pooped on. Maybe the birds that live in the tree get mad when I wake them up with the bike so they are getting their revenge?!?! :(

5. pete malone

pete malone Member

I've Bitten the bullet and gone for Mini Apes. I tried them out and they are brilliant. They make the ride much better. I will take some photos this Weekend and post them. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

6. HD1200NIGHTSTER

HD1200NIGHTSTER Member

i used drag bars without risers

Attached Files:

7. pete malone

pete malone Member

Don't you have to lean too far forward with those ? My Apes are sat back quite a bit and I find them very comfortable.

8. HD1200NIGHTSTER

HD1200NIGHTSTER Member

not at all. i went with the mini apes at first, then i got the drags. i sit better with the drags, im 5'9" and still have the mid controls.

i have a street bob with apes and forward controls and im thinking adout changing them to drags.

i just like the way they look and feel than the apes. my oem bars on the nightster , my hand where to far apart so i lean to far. but with the new ones my hands ar closer and it keeps my sholders back.

9. pete malone

pete malone Member

not at all. i went with the mini apes at first, then i got the drags. i sit better with the drags, im 5'9" and still have the mid controls.

i have a street bob with apes and forward controls and im thinking adout changing them to drags.

i just like the way they look and feel than the apes. my oem bars on the nightster , my hand where to far apart so i lean to far. but with the new ones my hands ar closer and it keeps my sholders back.

They do look good but I think they would have me bent double as I have forward controls as well as only being 5'4''

10. HD1200NIGHTSTER

HD1200NIGHTSTER Member

i wanted to ask about that springer seat. how is it and did you have to buy or fab a cover for the cut out on the fender?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008