free website stats program Night Train questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Night Train questions

Ashbucket

Greetings. This is my first posting on here. I'm hoping to get some good info on the bike I just bought. I've got an '07 Night Train. I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust and have gotten about a million different answers none of which is helping. My question is can I just upgrade the exhaust with something that sounds and looks better than stock without going into all kind of mods right away. I know that half the fun of owning a Harley is customizing it but for now I'm just looking for some advise on the pipes. Do I have to install a race tuner ?? Do I have to get it Dyno'd ?? What advantage is there to using an entire new exhaust vs. slip on's ?? Do I need the high flow air filter?? I understand the Harley dealers love to upsell but do really need all that stuff just to get some better looks and sound ??

Any good advice would be great.

Thx

The 07 bikes have the 02 sensors hat self adjust in cruise mode. The problem is that the mixture is real lean in this mode for EPA regs. When you add just slipons, the mixture will become a bit leaner and the 02 sensors will self adjust. Problem is they can only self adjust so much and are at the edge of the air fuel ratio that will give you a good running engine. With the addition of a fuel adjusting unit, whether it be a SERT or a PC III or TFI, the fuel will be richened up to a more workable ratio and the bike will run better and cooler.
The Stage 1 intake is optional but consider the addition of the stage 1 with slip ons and a fueler of sorts will add about 10-12 HP and also TQ which will make the bike run better and a bit cooler also.

I went with V&H Big Radius exhaust, Screaming eagle air cleaner,V&H Fuel pack. I made the set up choice after much research and talking with several people who had the same or simular set up. Here is my basic understanding of this. If you add aftermarket exhaust the engine will want to put out more air which in turn you want more air to go in (High flow air cleaner) with the engine bringing in and putting out more air you need more fuel (Fuel Managment system) FUEL PACK, or other system. I went with the Fuel Pack because I do not plan on any engine modifications which would require a higher end tuner. The fuel Pack is easy to install and set up I used the codes from V&H web site for my bike and set up and it runs great.

thx for the info. so it sounds like you did the entire thing yourself without having to get any tuning done from a dealership which is what I'm looking to do.

Personally I would get the Exile Cycles Monster Shotguns for Softails.

"2½” Monster Pipes have been a signature component on every Exile Cycle for over a decade. Now they are finally available for your ’86 – ’08 Harley Davidson Softail! Offered in two styles, Monster Drag Pipes and Monster Shotgun Pipes, they feature heavy 16 gauge steel tubing and your choice of finish. We stock them in show-chrome or high-temp satin ceramic satin black. We also offer raw steel so you can cut ’em, tweak ’em, or coat them as you like. The 1¾” header pipe continues inside the true 2½” outer body to maximize scavenging pressure, resulting in significant performance gains. This double layer construction also helps resist discoloration. Each set includes removable louvered-core baffles with polished billet end-tips, and all the necessary brackets and hardware. The Exile logo is carved into each pipe so everyone will know you’re running the real deal!"

Exhaust is on and sounds awesome. I used Rush Racing 2 1/4 slip-ons, a Fuelpak and Screamin Eagle hi flow air filter. The whole job took only about 2 hours and there's a whole lot more power and sound, and NO lugging in 6th gear at all. The only thing I've noticed is an intermittent pop while decelerating. doesn't happen all the time but just enough to notice. I think I may drop Fuelpak an email and see if they have some kind of adjustment. If anyone else has come across this please let me know what you've found.

Exhaust is on and sounds awesome. I used Rush Racing 2 1/4 slip-ons, a Fuelpak and Screamin Eagle hi flow air filter. The whole job took only about 2 hours and there's a whole lot more power and sound, and NO lugging in 6th gear at all. The only thing I've noticed is an intermittent pop while decelerating. doesn't happen all the time but just enough to notice. I think I may drop Fuelpak an email and see if they have some kind of adjustment. If anyone else has come across this please let me know what you've found.

Maybe this will help. Good luck:)
This is from the Vance and Hines web site:

The version 12 software in your fuelpak greatly minimizes this popping. Your software version level can be checked in mode 20. Older versions can be upgraded for a nominal charge by contacting our technical service department.

The version 12 software is able to cut down on this popping by monitoring the throttle position in relation to the engine rpm; if the fuelpak was not calibrated to the throttle position correctly in mode 19, popping or other driveability issues can result. Check the throttle calibration in mode 21 – the numbers should read zero at idle and start increasing smoothly as the throttle is twisted, reading about 50 at half throttle and 99 at full throttle. If the numbers do not appear to be correct, recalibrate the throttle in mode 19.

Some riders do not completely roll off the throttle between shifts or when coasting to a stop. This riding style can lead to exhaust popping. Be sure to fully roll off the throttle.

Exhaust leaks can also cause popping. Check and tighten any leaking exhaust joints.

Lastly, some exhaust systems will pop and there is nothing you can do to completely eliminate it. Systems with large baffles or with open or non-existing baffles are especially prone to popping.

my Fuelpak has version 12. I loaded everything last night and double checked it. I'm kinda leaning towards the fact that some pipes just pop once in a while. the Rush pipes are very large and have huge baffles so I guess your posting just answered my question. thx for the info

Did u do it all yourself, I have a rocker C and am thinking of going with just about the same setup. Which air cleaner did u use i was thinking of the heavy breather. Any tips would be appreciated.

Did u do it all yourself, I have a rocker C and am thinking of going with just about the same setup. Which air cleaner did u use i was thinking of the heavy breather. Any tips would be appreciated.

hallmw -
If you have any wrenching experience at all, it's not a tough job at all. Air box and pipes are simply unbolt the stock parts and bolt your upgrades in their place. Just be careful with the O2 sensors if replacing the entire exhaust system. The fuelpack is a simple plugin and then program per instructions provided by V&H for your particular setup.
- Dorr :rider

Back