free website stats program Night Train, how many miles is too many? | Harley Davidson Forums

Night Train, how many miles is too many?

NYHarley

I am looking at buying a Night Train in the next few days, but a couple of the bikes I am going to look at have 20k+ miles on them. How much mileage is too much when talking HD? I know that you can have alot of miles and still have a good bike, you can even have low miles and have a bad bike. I am just looking to see if there is a set marker that the engine starts getting tired regardless of riding style.

I am looking at buying a Night Train in the next few days, but a couple of the bikes I am going to look at have 20k+ miles on them. How much mileage is too much when talking HD? I know that you can have alot of miles and still have a good bike, you can even have low miles and have a bad bike. I am just looking to see if there is a set marker that the engine starts getting tired regardless of riding style.

Welcome to the Forum.

IMHO, not really - it depends. Depends on how the bike was cared for, and how it was maintained. If a bike has been ridden every riding season, and fluids changed at least annually regardless of miles, and the bike passes a look, touch, feel and ride test, I would not be afraid of it. But I do my own work as much as possible.

So, like I said, "it depends".

TQ

Gotta go with TQ on this.A good bike that has been maintained should not scare you away even though the mileage is high.In fact if you like the bike enough you can use the high mileage to your advantage by asking for a better price.Welcome to HDTimeline!

20K is nowhere near the expiration of a well cared for HD motor. Ask for maintenance records, look for obvious signs of abuse, and then negotiate the price down because of the mileage.

Good luck!

I totally agree with the previous comments. IF the bike has been well maintained 20K isn't a problem. Maintenace records can certainly give you an idea of how well the owner maintained the bike. Of course, visual inspection can give you a good indication of how well the bike was kept in terms of cleaning, polishing, etc.

I have also seen a lot of bikes for sale with lower mileage. If I was in the market for a used bike, I would be probably be looking for a lower mileage bike just because I think if you shop around you can usually find one.

Buying a Night Train, what to look for?

I am going to be looking (hopefully picking up) a 2006 Night Train this week. The owner said that there was regular maintenance done with records. What are some of the things I should specifically pay attention to when inspecting the bike?

Re: Buying a Night Train, what to look for?

I am going to be looking (hopefully picking up) a 2006 Night Train this week. The owner said that there was regular maintenance done with records. What are some of the things I should specifically pay attention to when inspecting the bike?

Read these: Click on the title in blue to go to the actual post with live links.

Buying A Used Bike ? - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Buying A Harley - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Good Luck!

2006 Night Train, what to look for?

I guess I should word this differently. Anyone know of any Night Train Specfic issues I should look out for when buying used? The bike is a 2006, anything specific to that model year that was problematic?

As this post may be a little late, I'm proud to say I have 32189 miles on my '07 Night Train and the motor is in great shape. It may be overkill, but I change my oil with Redline synthetic every 3k instead of 5k to keep the "blood" as fresh as possible. I also change my primary and tranny oils before their due. Also note that this is my only means of transportation and it sees plenty of rain,sun, and even snow and ice!! LOVE MY TRAIN!!!!

I will suggest you must go on a ride for about 10-20 miles and see if you feel comfortable on it,noice,speed,pick up etc and if you are satisfied then just go for it .if it is taken care well then you are a good happy rider for sure.

NOddy

Back