free website stats program Night Train help | Harley Davidson Forums

Night Train help

FXSTB

I'm restoring a 2007 Night Train after it was crashed but I'm having trouble with a new gear lever on the forward control mount. I've brought a standard lever but there's no clearance between the engine block for the gear lever shaft back to the primary housing and the gear lever shaft is to long.

I've taken off the forward control mount and I'm interested to know if other late model owners or machinics think it's bent or is it meant to be on an angle? This would explain the lack of clearance maybe. If it's not then I may have chassis problems that I really don't want!

P1000381.jpg
P1000373.jpg

Cheers all.

certainly looks like theres something wonky to me, it looks like the mount and lever are twisted clockways (from the top) causing the rod to be about an in too long. Some more pics of the mount a little forward of these would help

Cheers guys,

I've attached another couple of pics. I've been told the shifter rod length will be fine when I can sort the clearance out and able to move the lever forward.

P1000376a.jpg

P1000377a.JPG

And one more front on.

P1000372a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I can see, (like Hobbit suggested), If you take your foot shift lever off and put it aside, and let the forward part of the assembly and rod drop forward away from the primary case, the rear stud will align with the transmission lever to bolt up. Then you can put the foot shift lever on the splined shaft in the position that is right for you.

Last edited:
It might be worth trying to find a bike that is working correctly and comparing where yours is different
a visit to your nearest dealer may give you the answer as to what is out of line just by looking at a good one

Brian

P.S.take a camera with you

Last edited:
Cheers guys,

It doesn't matter where I have the lever unfortunately, there just isn't any clearance between the engine block or cooling fins and the shifter rod. I can't even tight the forward control bracket up fully because of the lack of clearance.

Sorry for the hard to read post iPhones are great but fat fingers ain't :)
WAP.gif

Looks good to me! :D

The last pic tells the tail, the peg mount must of hit hard and bent the mount in. The top of the mount (black) should be horizontal I checked mine and although the chrome lever is offset, its not nearly as bad as yours. I have about 1 " clearence between rod and cylinder. you could heat and straighten the parts JUST to get it working and find out what you got.
Good Luck

The last pic tells the tail, the peg mount must of hit hard and bent the mount in. The top of the mount (black) should be horizontal I checked mine and although the chrome lever is offset, its not nearly as bad as yours. I have about 1 " clearence between rod and cylinder. you could heat and straighten the parts JUST to get it working and find out what you got.
Good Luck
Cheers Big Rol,

I thought that might be the case I just hope the frames okay, it looks straight. I'll price up a new froward control mount or get it straightend and go from there. If then I still have issues with clearance I might put another plate between the frame and the control mount to pack it out a little to give me clearance, only option really.

Back