free website stats program nick | Harley Davidson Forums

nick

zoob2

Hi to all, this is my first post from here in NZ,here is my problem:while out on my ride today[ 94 nostalgia] the bike gave an intermittent miss that was not unlike the miss that i sometimes get when i'm riding along and then realise that i havent got my lights on and turn the central switch to lights.I have had this miss before and notice that it only seems to happen when the headlight is on and under load,i.e:going uphill.I have a trickle charger on during the week when not in use and have had the battery tested at an autoparts store who said it seemed to be o.k-any ideas would be greatly appreciated,regards, nick.

Welcome aboard nick, glad to have you here. :ws

I'm sure some of our knowledgeable members will be along shortly to assist you. :s

Thanks guys,will check that when i get home,5.50am here and off to service wheelchairs,many thanks . nick.

Hi Guys, thanks for the welcome.Thanks too,CAPITAL JACK for directing me to the self help.I followed steps one and two,i didnt go to step 3 as my meter isnt too flash, but here are my results:1.voltage at the battery with the engine going at a fast idle is 14.7 volts, step2.using a test lamp,with one end connected to the negative of the battery and the other alternately poked into the disconnected regulator plug,there wasnt a glimmer from the bulb.As the bike was idling away, i turned the ignition switch to the lights position and the engine died immediately-i repeated this several times with the same result.When i bought the bike 18 months ago , the ignition key had been lost, so i was given a new aftermarket switch of the electronic variety-visually the same except none of the exposed brass rotary connections underneath as per an original.also when the engine died,there were no neutral or oil pressure lights displayed unless i go back to ignition without lights-is this normal or could i have a switch thats about to call it a day? many thanks in advance,nick.:

You could have a bad switch, or a short in the lighting circuit. You should have a circuit breaker for the lights only. The Ign. ckt. breaker is a separate one. Both should be a 15amp. You could use your test light on the lighting one to test for voltage. I believe the copper stud on it is power and steel looking post is the load(lights). You won't have voltage until the switch is in the lights position. If you have power to one post(copper?) and not the other then the breaker is tripping. You will have to run down the short from there.
tourbox

Hi,sorry for delay-i went back to my old original equipment ignition switch and took bike out with my lady for a spin and you guessed it-no missing,smooth as.Now i'm gonna open up the electronic switch to try and see what failed-many thanks Tourbox and Jack:newsmile01:

Back