free website stats program niagara falls ride report | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

niagara falls ride report

day three

i woke up first and since our cabin had a kitchen i decided to make breakfast. the little general store was staffed with friendly people and sold food in small portions, like one stick of butter instead of four that normally come in the box. with all of the groceries the bill was under 20 bucks. cheaper and faster than eating somewhere. after breakfast i wanted to go for a swim in the lake but no one wanted to come with. apparently its too cold for my wife and dad.

after the swim, which was very refreshing but really cold, we packed up and got gas at the only gas station in town. the gas station attendant was very friendly and showed us some pictures of local wildlife and the lake in the winter. looked cold. some of the best snowmobiling in the area though.

saying good by we headed out to the west bluff which overlooked the lake. it would be really cool to be up there when the leaves change. got some goo picture and headed out. some steep hills and curves on that road.

we did not have a destination for the night so we rode until we needed to stop. it ended up to be in marquette MI next to the harley dealer. stopped in just to drool. we wanted to have a short ride in the morning to Mackinaw City so we rode further to Munising Mi to spend the night. found a nice motel within walking distance to the local bars and restaurants.

we unpacked our stuff and headed out while there was still daylight. we went out to the pictured rocks national lakeshore. some of the most amazing views and colors. if you watch Kid Rocks Born free music video thats where we were.

when we got back to our room we met this couple on a goldwing from Toronto. they were doing the opposite of us around the lakes. we swapped stories and things to do in the areas we were from. very nice people.

the night came and we decided to stay up past 1200am to celebrate my wife's birthday. the whole bar sang her happy birthday!

pics from day three:

Attachments

• DSC07165.jpg
    DSC07165.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC07168.jpg
    DSC07168.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC07170.jpg
    DSC07170.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC07179.jpg
    DSC07179.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC07186.jpg
    DSC07186.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 53
more pics from day three:

Attachments

• DSC07214 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC07214 - Version 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC07208.jpg
    DSC07208.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC07198.jpg
    DSC07198.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC07189 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC07189 - Version 2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 56
Really nice riding up near the Mackinaw Bridge. I have a friend the lives near Harbor Springs Mi that we go visit once or twice a year and get some nice riding in. One of my favorite rides there is the Mi hwy 119, Tunnel of trees that follows the lake shore through the forest. It is a must to do if your are ever up there.
Ken

Day four:

Munising has two different boat tours. the pictured rocks national lakeshore and the sunken ship tours. since every one said to do the pictured rocks in the afternoon and we only had the morning to do one, we went on the sunken ship tours. Lake superior is so clear its really cool to see the ships in shallow water. the tour went a little long but the sun was shining and the lake was a big air conditioner. it felt so good to relax and take ing the cool breeze.

the locals in the area told us about a newly paved road that used to be gravel so we had to check it out. from Munising to Grand Marais MI there is a road called H58. on a map it doesn't look like much or even a road but it is worth the time to travel on it. tons of curves right along the lake. a must do on a bike if you are in the area.

it always seems like when we have a 500 mile day ahead of us we get serious and ride, ending our day at a decent time. but when we have a 100 mile day, we think oh we have time and procrastinate all day. making the 100 mile day as long as the 500 mile day. we did that this day. we all wanted to get to Mackinaw City early and it never happened. this has happened more than once. but thats life.

when we arrive in Mackinaw City we got a hotel and started getting ready to go out and celebrate my wife's birthday. it was still her birthday. while she was getting ready my dad and i found an area where i could swim in lake michigan and get some cool pics of out bikes with the mackinac bridge in the backround.

Mackinaw city is neat. lots of shops and fudge. they really do like their fudge. we ate dinner then went out to a couple of bars and talked to a bunch of interesting people. i love meeting and talking to new people on road trips. we ended our night late and got a good nights sleep for the next day.

pics from day four:

Attachments

• DSC07297 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC07297 - Version 2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC07266.jpg
    DSC07266.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC07239 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC07239 - Version 2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC07231.jpg