free website stats program Next Stage 2 ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Next Stage 2 ?

Ranger63

Hello Members
My current ride, 2009 Nightster, with stage 1 and SERT installed. Dyno at just under 80 hp, same torque.
I am thinking about a cam, for reasons un known to me, I feel like I need a bit more power ... of course the idea of higher compression and a cam would certainly add some thump to the motor. I still like a dependable bike, ... would it be worth doing the added cam, pistons, or am I just better to leave good things alone and be happy with what I already have.
You input is appreicated. Thanks -

Think it through, the most important issues are; Can you afford it, and are you willing to suffer through the down time? It seldom is as easy as just new cams (4). You are gonna run into "as long as we are this far, why don't you...." , which gets expensive fast.
One thing leads to another. Are you going to do the work, or have a shop do it? If a shop, how well do you know thier reputation? Plan it out, all the parts must be compatable to each other to work efficiently.
Having a hi performance Harley can be a blast, or a money pit.
Hobbit knows a lot about Hi-po harleys.

Thanks Hobbit, everybody that I have talked to says, do the heads first, great gains in head work, guys that I talked to says the sportster already have a pretty good cam, which cam would you suggest ? Would like a broad specrum cam, low to high range, ... Thanks Hobbit :)

I would likely stop at Stage 1 with a rubber mounted Sportster. If you want to go hog wild on a Sporty motor you're better off getting a pre-2004.

See the below excerpt from an article by Dan Umstead, "Sportster Corner - American Iron Magazine, June 2010."

Unfortunately you are the owner of a newer rubber mounted Sporty that I've been advising people against hot rodding for maximum performance. It can still be done but it's expensive. If you're willing to spend the money, here is what you're up against: .... late model XL's have a weak flywheel assembly, short mediocre connecting rods, an inadequate clutch assembly for performance use, no transmission trapdoor, and reported high speed handling problems. That said, personally I would not recommend increasing the horsepower and torque of your motorcycle until you address all of the problems listed above.

The no trap door is going to be a turn off selling point for a lot of people IMO, it will mean expensive overhauls to the tranny when it goes down

I can't argue with experience if some have had success.

Just passing along some good info from Dan Umstead. Seems he's a pretty knowledgable tuner.

Back