free website stats program Newer type belts | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Newer type belts

NEWER BELTS may be GREAT but

The biggest thing I wished HARLEY would improve on : a way to install the belt with out having all the take-off and put back-on parts... A MAJOR JOB!

You think they could of devised a JACK SHAFT chain drive for a GO BETWEEN so removal of belt would be a hour job...

HATE THE THOUGHT of LOOSE GRAVEL.... and a ROCK CRACK on edge of belt...

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie Harley has come up with a way to change the belt without having to take off and put back on all the parts, they call it a sporster. Under a hour:)

Chopper your a funny guy, BTW did they do away with the "old" design and have newer carbon fiber thread belts that for older models? Beats them having to stock so many different part numbers and take advantage of new technology, or is this just my "smart alec" thinking outside the box" acting up out loud again? :small3d029:

How long do the emergency belts last or they only to get you somewhere where you can put on a new belt? Is there a speed restriction on them like the little spare tires that used to come with cars?

Bubbie Harley has come up with a way to change the belt without having to take off and put back on all the parts, they call it a sporster. Under a hour:)

WHY DO YOU THINK I KEEP A 06 1200 ROADSTER....

I enjoyed replacing the belt on it with a new softer belt at 32,000 miles... I'll post the brand later... I felt the Az. HEAT and the miles wore out the belt EARLY in life.... I know the 5 states I ran-up ALL those miles in , made me just as STIFF as the OLD belt... the new belt is softer-silent one... so far so good as it gets very little ridding up here in WA. with the new FLHR first to go out the garage.... 38,500 on the sport now... and just turned 8,000 on the 09 FLHR...

signed....BUBBIE

How long do the emergency belts last or they only to get you somewhere where you can put on a new belt? Is there a speed restriction on them like the little spare tires that used to come with cars?
Geezer the emergency belts work but are very expensive and you got haul them with you and then install it along the side of the road, I personally would much rather just call a shop and say come get me, plus if your a HOG member you get $100.00 tow paid.
Here's the info on the belt, o yea and I could not find one to fit anything later then 2006.
They say they can have a 200 mile range and don't exceed speed limits, use to be not over 50 mph.
View attachment Belt repair kit 97-06 touring-J00090.pdf

WHY DO YOU THINK I KEEP A 06 1200 ROADSTER....

I enjoyed replacing the belt on it with a new softer belt at 32,000 miles... I'll post the brand later... I felt the Az. HEAT and the miles wore out the belt EARLY in life.... I know the 5 states I ran-up ALL those miles in , made me just as STIFF as the OLD belt... the new belt is softer-silent one... so far so good as it gets very little ridding up here in WA. with the new FLHR first to go out the garage.... 38,500 on the sport now... and just turned 8,000 on the 09 FLHR...

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie you got all the toys, bet that roadster's a lot of fun when you get off the big hog, let us know more about that soft belt, I like the word silent and sporster belt in the same sentence.

Ive had a hole in my belt for quite a while, got a new belt, but not got around to fitting it, the hole has got no bigger in nearly 10,000 miles tho. its a pity there not fully enclosed, like the chains on the first flt models tho maybe thay would get too hot. seems a shame when a little stone ruins a belt.

Chopper, you gotta have about 5 hard drives in a line to hold all the info you put out. Each time someone asks a ? you have a pdf file on it. I think it's great and we appreciate you.

How long they will last or how long can they last? two different questions.
My FB has 50,000 on belt, had it in dealer for a look over told them to fix or replace anything they found. When I picked it up I ask about the belt as it was one of my concerns. "Keep riding belt is fine".
How you ride and service the bike has a lot to do with it. I know a rider that got 29k out of his belt. Those aginst the wall burn outs and not adjusting it might have been the problem. I know another rider with 80K on his belt so far and does not plan on changing it any time soon.
IMO weather old style or new if you take care of them they are great.
HD got the belt drive right

Smitty, with all the "snow" riding you can do this winter...peserving the belt in the "cooler" Wisconsin climate probably guarantees longer life...:laugh

Back