free website stats program newbie question Fatboy totalled-resale value | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

newbie question Fatboy totalled-resale value

I suggest that you check with you state concerning registering salvage title motorcycles. You will find out that it is a big ordeal in most cases. Once it has been salvaged it is worse than the proverbial "Red-Headed Step-Child". Even if the price was reasonable, and $12,000 is not reasonable, you better plan on keeping it forever because no one will buy it for the above mentioned reasons.

I would want to see ALL the receipts for the repairs just like the state does before they will issue a license. You will then know exactly what has been done then.

If it doesn't have a license issued run away. If it does have one and you plan on keeping this bike forever AND EVERYTHING WAS DONE CORRECTLY then offer $7-8,000 for it.

Deals can be had in this economy. Just because someone is asking more for bike doesn't mean that is what it will sell for. A guy on another forum just bought an 01 Fatboy with 5,600 miles on it for $8,200 with a clean title. Last year it seemed like RichardS would buy a bike once a month for $6-8,000. Just be patient make an offer, leave them your contact info then wait and see what happens.
HTH,
Randall

I would be very suspicoius, especially if it was said to be "mint." I'm sure you can find a better deal elsewhere. Walk away and be happy with your decision.

Around here if a vehicle was totaled, the receipts for repairs plus a state inspection is needed to even consider re registering it. JMHO but if it was totaled at any point, I believe the title has to say that and you would have a real hard time reselling it in the future because that would stay on the new title as well.
If the bike is not registered right now when you are buying it, be prepared for headaches if and when you buy it.

I wouldn't buy anything that was totaled myself regardless of the price. You have no idea how the restoration was done.

I would walk away from that deal and find something that wasn't damaged goods.

The guys asking retail for a crashed bike????? Stay FAR FAR FAR away....
Maybe the Heritage might be the better choice... and you would save 4 grand

I remember a guy down in S. Fla. some years back that bought up all the totaled cars and bikes with water damage and such , from the huricanes. Took them up to Tennessee and got clean titles there.

Just a thought to watch out with everything.

im lookin at a 2005 Anniversary Fatboy. it was totalled, rebuilt. What does this do to the resale value? It rides like its new so im told. i only looked at it and thought it was in mint shape, but found out today it had been wrecked. Has 8000 miles and wants $12,000 for it. thanks for any input,

jeff
I agree with the majority walk away. I personally wouldn't want an already wrecked bike between me and the road I would always be thinking about its been totaled instead of enjoying the ride.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
well. . investigation continues. The '05 wasnt "totalled" title is clean. .had whole front end ruined and rebuilt by FreedomHarley in canton ohio. He is pretty firm on $12,000.

Makes me nervous about the '94 Softail, its been ridden well, has 46,600 miles. . worried about my lack of mechanical abilities and having to work on it. . vibration, carbed EVO. .but it has tons of custom chrome. . hotrod

well. . investigation continues. The '05 wasnt "totalled" title is clean. .had whole front end ruined and rebuilt by FreedomHarley in canton ohio. He is pretty firm on $12,000.

Makes me nervous about the '94 Softail, its been ridden well, has 46,600 miles. . worried about my lack of mechanical abilities and having to work on it. . vibration, carbed EVO. .but it has tons of custom chrome. . hotrod

I have a 94 FLSTC, rebuilt the top end at 60,000mi-cost about $500. I change all three fluids every 3,000 to 3,500mi. At 130,000mi sent the motor back to Harley for reman program, while at the dealers I had all bearings, seals, belt, chain, sprockets, pulleys, hoses and cables replaced-total cost$3600. Bike runs great.

Back