free website stats program newbie needs help | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

newbie needs help

Getting confused on which bike we are talking about. So I will give advice on both.

For the 2011. If they want $25.5k, then offer them $25k id they throw in extended factory warranty and oil changes. This would cost them little, and they do not really need to deal on the brand new bike. You could also ask for parts if you wanted a different exhaust or intake, but I think they already have decent stuff on the limited... may be wrong.

For the 2010. Get aggressive. That is last years model and probably has been sitting for awhile. They want to move it so they can get a 2011 on the floor in its place. So offer $22-23k with the same extras.

Either way I doubt you will get the deal for my opening offer price, but if they counter offer then you have at least got something. Keep working, and do not be afraid to walk out if you do not hear what you like. If they want to move the bike they will call, and if you really are offering to little then you will know when they do not call you.

Some dealers will not deal, some will. If this is one of those MSRP only dealers, then start calling around. It is not a big deal to drive a bit to get what you want at the price you want to pay. And like others have mentioned, they can often get the bike you want off another dealer's floor.

Last thing, the closer dealer will probably be your main service point so try not to tick them off too much, and they are a business so some profit is needed as long as they are not taking you to the cleaners.

It is true that all dealers are not created equal. I am blessed with being in an area with numerous dealer options. I have one for service, one for parts and one for appearal. When I was buying they all had different 'hooks' to try and snag me.

This is a great thread with some really good ideas... but here's the deal.

Harley sales are down; however, the touring models are the top sellers (the "bread and butter" if you will). Do not be afraid to offer less than MSRP out the door! I bought my first Harley at MSRP plus tax, title, and fees. Don't do it! This is NOT the early 90's and the supply is there while the demand is not.

I got my 2010 FLHTK for less than MSRP out the door, and many other dealers are willing to do the same (or better).

Another thing to think about is that this IS a touring bike! Why not make a nice road trip out of it and pick it up from the dealer with the best price... regardless of geographic location? Some dealers will really sweeten the deal with airfare and hotel accommodations.

The most important thing is to remember you are buying a Harley-Davidson... not a life insurance policy or a homeowner's warranty. Have fun with it!

I have been looking and was offered a brand new 2011 for $1k off the msrp 22,699 OTD not bad for a 2011

I'm guessing this was for a Black FLHTK. Not a bad deal if they really aren't adding on tax, title, fees, etc. I'm surprised they came down that much from the original offered price that you posted. What did you counter them with?

yes it was for the solid black 2011 I have not offered them anything this was an internet quote that didnt include the tag and tax we have to take care of that our self I was thinking about offering 22k

22,699 for the black limited

Last edited by a moderator:
A few months ago I bought a new 2010 FLHTK and paid full MSRP plus all kinds of additional charges and fees. The only extra I got was some Vance and Hines oval slip-ons. Taxes and license plates etc, out the door... $29,500. Wait... I did squeeze a pair of helmets out of them.
I traded in a very clean 2004 FatBoy which ate up the negotiating room.
Dealing without a trade-in is a huge advantage.
Let us know how your deal goes. BTW, I love my Utra Limited. I assume this will be my last bike so I went all-out.
Good luck with your deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I accually have the goldwing sold I just dont know what to offer for new bike and is the limited worth the extra money
I've been in the same boat, except my Venture isn't sold yet. All this snow hasn't helped in that regard. I've done a ton of research and a friend has a 2010 Limited. From his experience the Limited is the way to go. You get a lot of extras for the money. He had an Ultra and then a Gold Wing with NAV. he now went to the Limited and says he's a Harley guy to stay. I really want the Limited and can only justify the cost by owning for many years. So, my feeling is if you don't want the security and the 103 motor, oil cooler, 12V plug in, chrome wheels, trunk rack, etc go with the Ultra. Coming off a GW, I would think you would want the Bling. I know I do. Here's my bike which is for sale.

Attachments

• Venture Devils Tower.jpg
    Venture Devils Tower.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 17
Back