free website stats program Newbie needs help with speedo cable | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie needs help with speedo cable

I have this week off so in the morning ill pull the speedo cable from my sportster to see just how its fitted
Id go out now but its cold and wet and dark out there at the moment and i dont have lights in the shed the sportster is in and im scared of the monsters that lurk out there in the dark

Brian

Dont have any of them right here its the small black and white ones that will fight to the death if you corner them
they broke into the back garden next to the back shed and every time ive tried to block there entrance they are powerfull enough to dig through it
but if i put the kitchen light on and make a bit of noise they will slink away into the dark
but as its raining the slugs and snails will be out and the badgers will be getting a good feed and they need it cos its been a hard winter still no leaves on the trees yet

Brian

ive pulled the books and had a look through them all my sportster came with part number 67063-89 so thats too new a part number also found references to 67051-74 fits xlh 1974 through to 1983 and 67051-73/67052-78a but these should fit sportsters through to 1995

getting confused now would need to see it to make any headway from here

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments - I will take a picture & post it when I get home.
It does look like the outer cable screws into a piece that pushes in & is held in place by the small screw.
At the death I will have to get one of the cables with a thread on the end & cut it down (and the inner cable) & screw it into the adapter which I managed to chew up getting it out - Doh!!

No wories Canex, in the heat of battle it is hard to "learn" patience...but keeping in mind when working on older machines, you HAVE to do things right, too few specialized parts available to restore your ride. Mechanical speedo cable is essentially a steel tightly wound spring over spring steel wire with square drive ends. Of course they always seem to break right at the bond where they are afixed.

SORTED :cheers

I finally found the problem - I was trying to buy a cable without the threaded part on the end - then realised someone had bodged it & screwed the outer cable in without the threaded part !!
Tried a normal cable & that fitted fine :)
now all MOT'd & on the road.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Good deal Canex...when you get a chance post up some pix...like to see restored Iron...:D

Back