free website stats program Newbie needs help with speedo cable | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie needs help with speedo cable

Canex

Hi all,
first post so be kind!
I have a 1984 XLH1000 sporty and need a new speedo cable.
The end from the speedo obviously unscrews but how does the wheel end come off? Do I have to remove the wheel?

cheers
Chris

If you look underneath on the wheel drive, there's a very small screw there and the cable will come out then. The wheel stays on unless you are changing the drive unit.

Thanks Glider !!!
You replied before I finished posting somehow :D

I need to get it MOT'd as I have only just bought it & have only been round the block so far!

I'll go & look now!

cheers
Chris

You should be able to pull the inner cable out from the top and inspect it for damage or kinks. At least I am able to pull my 85 out. I spray some BikeAid (liquid graphite) down the sleeve at least once a year too. Good luck with the new bike - Bob

Sometimes the end breaks off in the drive unit on the wheel and all seems to look OK but the new cable inner will not fit/work when trying to install it.

Then either a magnet to pull out the broken end is necessary or removing the wheel and tap out the broken piece to remove it.

I've just had a look and there seems to be a miniscule brass screw - is that the one? If so I need a very small screwdriver from work!

Hi Bob, the reason I need to change it is there isn't an inside cable at all at the speedo end !!

cheers
Chris

If you look underneath on the wheel drive, there's a very small screw there and the cable will come out then. The wheel stays on unless you are changing the drive unit.

Sorry Glider - just realise you said "very small screw" - I'll get a screwdriver tommorrow & remove it. :small3d028:

cheers again
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
canex; Here in the US, most auto parts stores sell "universal" replacement inner speedo cables. They are 1/4 the cost of a cable from HD. If your outer cable is in good shape, and the Harley dealer doesn't have the cable, it may be worth a try. They are (you) cut to fit, and you crimp the ferrule on the top end. I have had good luck with them.

I've just had a look and there seems to be a miniscule brass screw - is that the one? If so I need a very small screwdriver from work!

Hi Bob, the reason I need to change it is there isn't an inside cable at all at the speedo end !!

cheers
Chris

Chris,

If that is the issue (no drive or inside cable), you may not need to remove the outer sheath. The drive cable installs from the speedo end. However, as Glider indicated above, if the drive cable had broken off in the sender, you will need to remove the sheath and get the broken end out of the sender.

TQ

Having older bikes ive got speedo cbles on all of them ive had 2 break so far and both broke near the drive end so the outer cable ha to come off to get the short bit out of the rive unit
i was in germany at the time and when we stopped at a hotel owner called a couple of hd dealers and none had a speedo cble in stock so it might be something that has to be orderd but if you are ordering online youll need a part number

VAT Free Harley Davidson Parts
V-Twin Mania - Genuine Harley Davidson parts and accessories, Kuryakyn, Vance Hines, Custom Chrome, Zodiac and many more...

Brian

Back