free website stats program Newbie needing some help. | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie needing some help.

Hi All.
I have a dumb question, and I know It will surely show my ignorance, so I will lead off with a small back story. My Dad passed away last week, and I took possession of his 05 Road Glide. The gas gauge shows 3/4 of a tank so I am OK for now, BUT... I have been struggling all week with trying to access the gas cap. I have tried using the ignition key, which fits turning it and using it as a "handle" to pull up on the cover, but its not working. I ran into a guy yesterday who has the same bike, and I asked him, he said to do exactly what I mentioned above. Still nothing. I am not sure if by any chance, there is an additional locking mechanism within the cover that would hinder it being opened, but it will NOT open. A few things I found, is that we believe the bike has an alarm system, not 100% sure but Dad's keys have a black HD logo key fob looking thing that has a button just as a car would. When pressed, this makes the lights flash, but nothing more. I would assume that there is not an electrical locking system on the bike, so I turn to you guys for help.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as Dad isnt around to ask :(

Thanks for the help in advanced!

I cant help you but I did want to say very sorry to here about your dad...Someone will be along to help you and welcome to the forum

Have you tryed pushing down on gas cap and turning the key...I ask becouse mabe the key isnt turning far enuf

My buddy says the key goes in and turns and will not come out in the open position. Pull up on the key if needed. If it is stuck I would suguest a couple of whacks with the palm of your hand to loosen it.

Have you tryed pushing down on gas cap and turning the key...I ask becouse mabe the key isnt turning far enuf

I can't get to the actual gas cap itself, Its the cover, that I am having trouble opening to get to the cap.

But to answer the question, I have pushed, pulled and I hate to admit, but even took a small flat head screw driver and carefully wedged it down in the crevis, (nope didn't scratch it) applied very light pressure to see if it would move when I turned the key and pulled up on it. Nothing seemed to work.

I have attached a picture of the part I am dealing with in hopes that it will make more sense.

Attachments

• IMAG0308.jpg
    IMAG0308.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 109
My buddy says the key goes in and turns and will not come out in the open position. Pull up on the key if needed. If it is stuck I would suguest a couple of whacks with the palm of your hand to loosen it.

That is good information to know. That makes me wonder even more now. I can take the key out in either the "open" or "closed" position. The lock does turn, and I believe I can sort of "feel" the tumbler or what not moving under the cap, so I believe that it is moving to a locked and unlocked position.

The fact that the key should NOT come out makes me wonder even more though. I will tap it with my hand while turning and see if maybe it is just stuck a little.
Thanks for the reply!

Welcome to the forum 05RoadGlide.. My 06 Ultra opens just as Dr.Evil says.. I turn the key and then pull on it ( don't have to pull very hard ) Once open, I return to the lock position and remove the key, then after fuel up and cap back in place just close door and it locks in place... Hope this helps..:D

Just a thought. As I look at your photo of the cover and look at my Ultra 01 cover, I notice you have the red dots at 12 and 3 o clock...Mine are at 12 and 9 o'clock.. ( 12 is locked, and I can remove the key...9 is unlocked and the key can't be removed.)
I'm wondering if your dad replaced the original with the Harley "Push Button" open. Some people 'upgrade' to these covers so they don't have to use a key....Perhaps try to move your key to your 3 o clock position and pushing the button down....

Welcome to the forum.
Are you turning the key clockwise or counter clockwise?
On my '06 fl I turn the key counter clockwise from the 12 o'clock position and the cover opens.
Hope this helps, good luck.

Back