free website stats program Newbie needing riding input | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie needing riding input

I echo HarleyHarry.

We talk about this in group riding all the time. Ride YOUR ride. Ride to YOUR level. Anyone interested in making the ride fun and enjoyable for all will respect that and ride to the level of the least experienced rider.

Don't let anyone talk or pressure you into doing something on two wheels that you don't feel you're ready for. That usually leads to really bad things.

Practice is the best way to learn: obvious, isn't it? :s

Most of the time this strange feelings about the behaviour of the bike disappear after you get used to that... behaviour.
I'd just relax and try to brake in an open space where you cannot cause accidents to others and to yourself.
Braking with both brakes (rear and front) is always a good thing.
Just try to get used to evaluate in advance the type of road where you're gonna brake, this in order to apply the right strength when pulling the brake lever: watch out for gravel, dirt, sand and so on.

Regarding the approach to the curves... it's the same story: try, try and try!

Only once you'll feel safe and secure on basic curves you can think to apply other techniques like a compensatory steering or body shift on the seat...
Don't be eager or anxious to be perfect: take it easy and mentally review the actions you performed in order to better understand how to improve!

This is the technique I used to learn piloting an aircraft: I don't remember if I adopted it when learning to ride a bike because it's a loooooong time ago!
:p

Ciao
Ugo

Push right, lean right, go right - same goes for left! If you are going 10km/hr or more - push steering will help you in corners and also when making turns - as soon as you are moving let the bike do the work! Once you gain confidence in yourself, and the bike, you will find that you can throw your weight around to make the bike shift - I do this when avoiding tar snakes - I throw my hips into the bike while giving a slight push of the steering (in the direction I want to go) and it moves the bike. When stopping I use both brakes and apply consistent pressure to both however, when in a parking lot I drag my rear brake and apply throttle and use the clutch for control. Technique is learned by practice - sounds like you just need more seat time to gain confidence and improve your skills. I've only been riding 2 years and find I learn something everyday I ride and I also practice parking lot skills often as I know it is my weakness. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
I think the best thing I've ever learned about riding a bike.

You go where you look. It takes some getting used to, but once you have the confidence that it does work, it leads to smooth, consistent cornering.

The rest (technique) is learned with practice.

This turns into a double post, but I needed to amend my original post and my "edit time" expired. lol

I think the best thing I've ever learned about riding a bike.

You go where you look.

It takes some getting used to, but once you have the confidence that it does work, it leads to smooth, consistent cornering. If you ever have a chance, go watch a police motorcycle manuevering demo (or any other type of manuevering demo on big-twins). They lay off the front brake, feather the rear, play the clutch and give the engine some small revs...(the force of the engine rotation will help you maintain stability at low speeds)

...and they ALWAYS look at where they WANT to go...not where they are going. I know it sounds like I'm saying the same thing there, but there is a big difference in those two methods.

The rest (braking, clutch work, engine revs) is learned with practice.

And when I'm approaching a stop, I use both brakes until I get under...around...10 mph. Then I go to the rear brake and put the left foot down on a stop. I give the motor some small revs to keep the bike upright and tracking straight. Otherwise you end up using too much steering to maintain stability and straight-line tracking at very low speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same time out when trying to edit my post! Looking where you want to go is key like Skratch said! If you look down you will go down! If you look at the curb you will hit the curb! The technique of slow riding is an invaluable skill - just remember to trust your bike and practice playing with your throttle, clutch and rear brake. Doing circles/figure eights in a parking lot is great for learning the technique. Keep your eyes up and the rubber side down!

I agree with what everyone has said but noone has tried to answer her question about the bike leaning to the right approaching a stop. I think it's probably one of two things:

1. Since the right hand controls the front brake, you may be subconsciously pushing a bit on the right handlebar as you apply the brake and, as has been pointed out, this will cause the bike to lean to the right. Go to a parking lot (as empty as possible) and practice stopping straight ahead, slight turn right, and slight turn left. Remember, if you're turning at all while stopping, you want to use less front brake and more rear brake as your speed decreases. The last foot or so I'm usually off the front brake totally.

2. For whatever reason, you may be looking to the right as you stop. As many have said, the main rule of riding on 2 wheels is that the bike will eventually go where you are looking. It's OK to take a quick glance right or left as you're approaching the stop but try to be looking straight ahead and far ahead (not down at your tire or the road) as you roll those last few feet to a stop. You can practice this in the parking lot with no traffic too.

Good Luck!

I agree with what everyone has said but noone has tried to answer her question about the bike leaning to the right approaching a stop. I think it's probably one of two things:

1. Since the right hand controls the front brake, you may be subconsciously pushing a bit on the right handlebar as you apply the brake and, as has been pointed out, this will cause the bike to lean to the right. Go to a parking lot (as empty as possible) and practice stopping straight ahead, slight turn right, and slight turn left. Remember, if you're turning at all while stopping, you want to use less front brake and more rear brake as your speed decreases. The last foot or so I'm usually off the front brake totally.

2. For whatever reason, you may be looking to the right as you stop. As many have said, the main rule of riding on 2 wheels is that the bike will eventually go where you are looking. It's OK to take a quick glance right or left as you're approaching the stop but try to be looking straight ahead and far ahead (not down at your tire or the road) as you roll those last few feet to a stop. You can practice this in the parking lot with no traffic too.

Good Luck!

I think you might have nailed it Dr. Since the right hand is doing two things at once, brake and throttle, extra force might be being used on the right arm. Try releasing the brake as others have mentioned during the last couple of feet.

Again... Good luck.

when you are coming to a stop make sure your head is up and straight ahead. your bike goes where you look. if you are looking left or right it will tend to lean thast way

When beginning to ride, remember to keep your head level with the sight horizon, and vision looking forward around the turn. Countersteering is the tendancy to push the bar intuitively "opposite" of where you would normally steer the bike when at "walking" speeds that most of the posters are referring.

It sounds to me that your reaction to put your right foot down first when stopping, is causing the bike to lean right due to the center of gravity. Try putting both feet down just at the time you stop, regardless of what your mind is telling you, you might be just telling yourself that the bike is leaning. being new myself, when I would manuver to an intersection slowly, I was leaning forward and discovered that it was causing me to drift to the left (not good). I hope this helps.

Back