free website stats program Newbie needing riding input | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie needing riding input

pynki

Hi, this is Pynki from NC. I took Riders Edge on Father's Day weekend, passed and got my license. Just bought my 1st bike, a 2009 nightster.
I am having issues with proper stopping technique and would appreciate some input. For some reason when stopping I feel my bike lean slightly to the right and my reaction is to put my right foot down first. I use both front and back brake. This happens about 30% of the time.
My husband and coach ( he's been riding road glide for 6 yrs) says that I am not pressing hard enough on the back brake but even when I press harder this sometimes happen's. It is perplexing me and really aggravating my husband who thinks I am just not taking riding seriously enough. ::bigsmiley19:
The week end I took my course my husband's stepmother, a relatively new rider, had an ignorant driver behind her that kinda freaked her out. She forgot to lean in the next corner as the woman was still up her butt and she rode off the road into barbed wire. Among her other injuries she missed her corotid artery by an 1 1/5 inches.
Need less to say I won't get to ride on my own till I have everything down perfect! Any input would be greatly appreciated as I just can't seen to get it right! Thanks

G'day pynki, and welcome from Oz. You have me a wee bit perplexed regarding your riding problem? I think it is just a lack of riding experience, with the problem probably dissapearing, the more confident you get and the more hours you ride. And please, unlike your husbands stepmother, DON'T forget to lean into ANY corners........:(
I've been riding bikes for over 40 years and touch wood, have lean't into every corner.....

I agree with t-wrecks, the more riding experience you get the more confident you're gonna get. Remember to turn at corners but you might try pushing out on the right handle bar in right curves and pushing out out on the left handle bar in left curves. the amount of force depends on speed. try it, you'll be amazed at how it works!

The big thing with curves and corners is you want to look to where you want to go not at the road in front of you .In other words if you come up on a curve in the raod your vision should be toward the end of the curve not trying to steer the curve looking at what is right in front of you.

Good luck and safe riding!

hmm, when you come to a stop, try turning the wheel a bit to the left just before
stopping, this may help get the bike to lean over to the left a bit, and for your to make
a better stop. Or lean yourself out a bit might help..

Curves, always want to look where you want to go, the end of the curve,
as far up the road as you can see.. slow down before, steady on the gas thru..
90% of the time the bike will just go by itself.

When you can, let ignorant drivers ( and there are lots of them ) by you as fast
as you can.. or buy a flamethrower :)

I agree with t-wrecks, the more riding experience you get the more confident you're gonna get. Remember to turn at corners but you might try pushing out on the right handle bar in right curves and pushing out out on the left handle bar in left curves. the amount of force depends on speed. try it, you'll be amazed at how it works!

I am a new rider also. When I was young I had a few small Jap bikes but have returned to riding a Road King Classic after a 30 year break. I took a safety class and was taught NOT to lean into a curve. I was taught the pushing method mentioned above and I find it works great. It takes a little getting used to because it seems backwards but if you push right to turn right it will put the bike into a perfect lean. Balance the push with the gas and it works great.

I have also had a little difficulty with proper stops, but I agree that it gets easier with practice.

As far as leaning and corners (speeds above 35mph) the general rule is turn the handlebars the opposite way you want to go, then the bike will lean. Coming on a right corner twist your bars slightly to the left, the bike will lean right, then go right. Opposite for left corners. turn right, lean left, go left.
Stopping and at lower speeds its ok to put both feet down to help you balance but if you do so be careful with your front brake. If there is any loose gravel or slick pavement be especially careful with your front brake. Never slam on your front brake! If that front tire locks up the bike is uncontrollable, and will go down fast. If you lock up the rear tire it will feel a bit funny but you will be ok if you hang on. As far as the bike wanting to lean at low speeds while you're coming to a stop. I'd suggest easing off the front brake, using your rear brake, and your handlebars to control your balance. If you're not comfortable with that... Just put your feet down and use your front brake gently.

Springer, I think your method could be confusing to new riders.

Easiest and simplest way....push the bars the way you want to turn (right push - right turn, left push - left turn) and the best advice for turn is you go where you look.

Altho in evasive manuevers, I do the opposite thing. I pull left to go right and pull right to go left. For some reason I think I get more control and a quicker manuever this way.

For stopping I use the only the rear brake for the last few feet of the stop. As a general rule I keep my hands off the front brake for slow speed maneuvering.

Only two things to say here. PRACTISE PRACTISE PRACTISE. (Told you guys I can't count.)
I don't want to sound nasty but, if all your husband can do is critisizing you than he must be unable to think 6 years back when he was a newbe and you should not listen to him too much.
Don't let yourself get bullied into something you feel unconfortable with. Take your time and I mean YOUR time and try not to let yourself be pushed.
I'm sure you will enjoy the outcome.

Back