free website stats program Newbie looking for advice | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie looking for advice

If you and your wife are going to be riding together 25% of the time get a Road King. Pillow seat and back rest, tour bag and a map, later heated gear, cause you will want to ride alot!!!
WAP.gif

You know, I wondered TOO !!!
I just re read Cowboys first post.... LOL LOL LOL 36 years old? The Sportster would do just Fine...

At 36, I was in MUCH better shape than when I bought my 06 1200 R sport... (New @ my retirement gift to SELF)

I still ride the Sportster but really LOOK Forward to the King... Looking at my Avatar, It still looks as new as it did then..

BUT with a BIT More Power.....:p

SO Ike, Don't let me scare you off with the Road King...

signed....BUBBIE

Hello,

I'm a 36 year old who finally made the decision to buy my first bike. Literally never have been on one before. But I come from a Harley family and it's the only bike I would buy. The question is - which one do I get?

I'm 6'1, 180lbs and like a "classic" looking bike. I am interested in just cruising around - but not really into a Touring bike. Style-wise I like:

Sportster: 72
Dyna: Wide Glide
Softail: Heritage Softail Classic

If I buy new, I could only go with a Sportster. Trying to stay within a budget so my wife doesn't kill me. What would be the best bike? I know a lot of people claim that a Sportster is a "starter" bike, but is that really true?
The Dynas are a nice looker, Lots of them around, You should be able to get an affordable deal in winter.

Hello,

I'm a 36 year old who finally made the decision to buy my first bike. Literally never have been on one before. But I come from a Harley family and it's the only bike I would buy. The question is - which one do I get?

I'm 6'1, 180lbs and like a "classic" looking bike. I am interested in just cruising around - but not really into a Touring bike. Style-wise I like:

Sportster: 72
Dyna: Wide Glide
Softail: Heritage Softail Classic

If I buy new, I could only go with a Sportster. Trying to stay within a budget so my wife doesn't kill me. What would be the best bike? I know a lot of people claim that a Sportster is a "starter" bike, but is that really true?
Sent you a PM.

Don't give up on the touring bikes just yet. Take a look at the Road King (standard or classic). It has all the benefits of touring while still having the simplicity of non-touring. Good for tall riders and "beefy" looking so you don't look like a bear on a tricycle. Yes, I own one, so I am a bit biased... I was also on a budget, and bought a used one for around 10 grand.

Oh, and as far as a Sportster being a "starter bike", that is a bunch of crap. It has plenty of motor and they look great. If that's the style you want, go for it. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to "graduate" to a better Harley.
Take ATMs advice to heart. I sent you a PM

A sportster is a small bike and over time I think you would be looking to replace it with a different Harley.
JMO
Swomack

You didn't say your gender, but with a name like Cowboy Ike, I'm assuming male. So the Sporty is out. Besides, they don't ride like any of the other Harley's.

Heritage's are nice if you like that retro style. Me, I'd go for a Fat Boy if I was looking at a Softail. That's what I was looking for, and ended up with my RK. I agree with the others. Get the Dyna to learn on. Or even a used metric (gasp!). Get comfortable on two wheels, starting, stopping, turning and riding in traffic. Then trade up.

You didn't say your gender, but with a name like Cowboy Ike, I'm assuming male. So the Sporty is out. Besides, they don't ride like any of the other Harley's.

Heritage's are nice if you like that retro style. Me, I'd go for a Fat Boy if I was looking at a Softail. That's what I was looking for, and ended up with my RK. I agree with the others. Get the Dyna to learn on. Or even a used metric (gasp!). Get comfortable on two wheels, starting, stopping, turning and riding in traffic. Then trade up.
And take a motorcycle safety course.

As a first bike, I also recommend a cheap, used metric bike, even though you come from a Harley-Davidson family. The reason is, there is a large chance that you will lay the bike down at some point early in your riding career. It won't be as emotionally devastating to lay down and scratch up a used metric bike as it would be to scratch up a nice shiny, expensive Harley-Davidson!

Back