free website stats program Newbie From South Carolina | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie From South Carolina

Being the oldest, I can't relate to hand me downs, but I know how it feels to ask for a leather jacket, and getting vinyl!

I finally got her back together and learned a few more things. 1st of all I will gladly pay the $1000 to $1500 I was quoted for a paint job before doing it myself again. I learned the hard way it's not how good you spray it but how good you prep it before paint... oh yeah and the weather if you don't have a paint booth. I dont have patience to be a body guy but after choosing gloss black and 2 months of sanding I got it done. My baby was back to life and ready for the road.

Well so I thought. Took her out for a ride and to fill up with fuel. I come out from paying and about a gallon or so of fuel is surrounding my bike. I grab the gas stations spill kit and clean my mess up and it's still leaking. Inspect it all over and find fuel coming out of harness tube on lower left side of tank for the sending unit and gauge. I pull the gauge out and find everything connected but fuel coming out from under the center isolater pad where your red 12v wire goes. Since I'm standing in fuel, the engine is hot, it's 90 degrees out I didn't want to risk a spark. I pushed her over to the side of the parking lot and checked it out. I was able to pull up on the wire and it stopped leaking. So I took a paper towel and was able to get it wedged under the wire and get leak stopped long enough to get home.

The center nut is tight on stud but entire stud keeps spinning and won't tighten up. I pulled dash and center cover and tried to hold it underneath. No luck. So I call dealer and find out nobody offers a replacement sending unit for my year model. I ask the dealer what my options were and he says "eBay".

Well no (EDIT) . All I can find are used ones. I'm looking for a new one if anyone knows but have been weighing the option of just plugging it off or trying a universal float/sender assembly.

Any helpful thoughts on this? Wasn't sure where to post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back