free website stats program Newbie from Iowa, in late 50s... | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie from Iowa, in late 50s...

afan

Hi to all.
I'm new here, so please, be gentle... :)

About month ago I finished Motorcycle Safety Rider Course (on Suzuki GZ 250) and got my license. And I'm looking for a good beginners bike. 500cc - 650cc. Eventually, 750cc if I got good deal. Nothing over 750cc. I'm 50 and 240lb. Never had a bike before.
In a few days I'm gonna have my 50th birthday and, as a present to myself, I want to ride a bike all day long. But, since I'm still didn't buy anything, nor there is a big chance to buy something, I was thinking to rent a bike. But the smallest bike I can rent is HD Street Bob and it has about 1300cc if I'm not mistaken. Of course the dealer said it's not gonna be a problem to ride it.
Now, please, tell me. Is this idea of renting this HD stupid? Am I gonna survive? :)

Thanks for any help,
Afan

You should be fine if you realize your limitations and don't put yourself into situations you can't handle. Spend as much time as necessary in the dealer parking lot starting and stopping and just getting used to the bike. Then ask about some uncrowded roads you can ride to truly enjoy your day. If it were me, I'd take all the optional insurance since you're such a new rider.

Does the dealer not have an 883 Sportster you could rent?

It's all about remembering the talents you learned in BRC & applying them...just need to be "extremely" cautious while out in traffic, start off slow and don't panic. Build some confidence & venture farther out as you get comfortable w/the bike.

You should be fine if you realize your limitations and don't put yourself into situations you can't handle. Spend as much time as necessary in the dealer parking lot starting and stopping and just getting used to the bike. Then ask about some uncrowded roads you can ride to truly enjoy your day. If it were me, I'd take all the optional insurance since you're such a new rider.
Very good advice. Thanks a lot.

Does the dealer not have an 883 Sportster you could rent?
Nope. :(

You will be fine with your skills. The Streetbob is a very good handling bike with plenty of power and a low seat height:s

Hello and welcome to the forum . I'm also from Iowa , Ankey to be exact . If you want to buy a good used 750 my son-in-law has one he'd sell . I helped him buy WIDE GLIDE CUSTOM last year so the suzuki isn't getting riden at all , if you are interested PM me and I can get you in touch with him .

Welcome from Ely Ia, I would rent one, espically if ya don't know what you want yet. I started out on a 1300 honda vtx. Its heavier than my Roadking. They alk run the same don't matter engine size. Its when ya crank that throttle back hard is where the difference comes in..

Back