free website stats program newbie changing primary oil | Harley Davidson Forums

newbie changing primary oil

36 hamon

ok so i watched the primary adjustment video looks easy enuf but at the end the fella pours what looks like a whole quart/litre(yep im from Canada) into the primary .my question is ..the manual states 26 oz he is pouring in 32 oz(1 qt). so which do i beleave ??? he states its hard to see the bottom of the diaphram ring thats why he pours in the whole thing ...this may be a dumb question but id rather ask a dumb question then do something dumb to my bike...which is a 2000 wide glide 1450..thanks guys

Not necessarily a stupid question, given the actions on the video.

Your Harley Service Manual is the best source of information, and 26oz +/- is the proper quantity for your primary case . I personally use pour in about 24oz in the case, then look at the base of the diaphram to see if more needs to be added.

The primary case is basically a bath and has no pressure that would be effected by the quantity of oil. In this case the Manual is the best guide.

Welcome to the forum.
The primary takes 26 oz. Pour 6 oz into another container, and put the rest in the primary, or pour 26 oz into a measuring container, but 26 oz is all you put in. The mark is hard to see on mine, but you can see it if you work at it. It went to 26 oz from 32 oz in the late 1990's.

ok so i watched the primary adjustment video looks easy enuf but at the end the fella pours what looks like a whole quart/litre(yep im from Canada) into the primary .my question is ..the manual states 26 oz he is pouring in 32 oz(1 qt). so which do i beleave ??? he states its hard to see the bottom of the diaphram ring thats why he pours in the whole thing ...this may be a dumb question but id rather ask a dumb question then do something dumb to my bike...which is a 2000 wide glide 1450..thanks guys

I thought a quart was 29 oz., it just depends on the bike my manual for my 07 softail say 32 oz. I would go by the manual.:bigsmiley21:

40 fluid ounces is a US Beer! 32oz is a quart for sure :D

Bodeen

here beer is normally sold as a pint 20 fluid ounces or 1/8th of a gallon the terminology of a quart is not often used but is 2 pints 40 fluid ounces or 1/4 gallon
however due to European enforcement imperial weights and measures are no longer permitted for selling stuff with the exception of beer as having a pint is part of our culture
my beer comes in a 284 ml bottle

Brian

here beer is normally sold as a pint 20 fluid ounces or 1/8th of a gallon the terminology of a quart is not often used but is 2 pints 40 fluid ounces or 1/4 gallon
however due to European enforcement imperial weights and measures are no longer permitted for selling stuff with the exception of beer as having a pint is part of our culture
my beer comes in a 284 ml bottle

Brian

My beer comes in a truck! :lolrolling

I have to go get my own it comes in a cardboard box with 15 18 or 24 bottles i prefer the 24 bottle case but getting harder to find in the last 2 years

Brian

Back