free website stats program newbi here very frusterated rear brake light wont work | Harley Davidson Forums

newbi here very frusterated rear brake light wont work

mmhyson

i bought an 89 fxr as a running bike with hopes of making next winters project for customizing. it runs awesome but the brake light does not light up when i push the brakes. the bike has forward controls and i dont see an electrical wiring coming off anything on it. i would assume either way the front brake would trigger the brake lights. there are no turn signals either on this bike dont know why. anyway i took rear fender off to get to brake light wires and 2 were broke and the grn one was the only one hooked up and the tail light does light up just doesnt get brighter when you touch the brakes. i found a wire diagram online an it shows the red and green go to tail light so i hooked those up but nothing turns on now. im getting very frustrated and could really use some help and suggestions. thanks guys

Easy for me to say but hang in there! Walk away and take a break from something this frustrating. Some of our electrical geniuses will be along to help you out shortly!

i hope so. i have the rear fender off the gas tank off just need some guidence lol the warm weather is here but i refuse to ride with out a tail light

I don't know if '89's were different, but '92's have a pressure switch on the brake line behind the rear master cylinder, which on mid control bike was under the swing arm pivot. I think your bike is a forward control conversion, and no telling where the master cylinder is. There is a red and an orange wire coming off that switch. These switches are prone to failure. I'm on my 4th one. Red goes straight to tail lamp, orange diverts to a 15A breaker. My diag. for front switch also shows red and orange wires, and the switch itself is next to the lever.
It used to be very popular to remove turn signals. I can't guess how many times someone asked me "why don't you take those ugly signal lights off? "

ok i will look for that switch behind the pivot arm. can i pull it out easily or will i have to drain brake fluid and bleed again? any idea what the price of the switch is? also my forward control brake looks like it has the master cylinder infront of the brake pedle.

You should have a pressure switch to activate the brake light when applying the foot brake. The master cylinder is under a cover (usually) on the right side of the bike low in the triangle of the frame under the seat. Use a meter and check the switch in the line to see if it is operative and go from there with the wiring to the brake light.

ok half way there i found the problem with the brake light the connector on the prssure switch had wiggled off installed new connector problem fixed thank you guys. now i bought some after market turn signals for the front and back. i cant seem to get them to work its only two wires and i followed the wiring diagram i have. i can hear the flashers in the head light but cant get them to do their job any suggestions for this. or is there a wiring diagram of just the lighting system

ok half way there i found the problem with the brake light the connector on the prssure switch had wiggled off installed new connector problem fixed thank you guys. now i bought some after market turn signals for the front and back. i cant seem to get them to work its only two wires and i followed the wiring diagram i have. i can hear the flashers in the head light but cant get them to do their job any suggestions for this. or is there a wiring diagram of just the lighting system

Wiring Diagrams Online - Harley Davidson Community maybe find it here

When I push the directional switch on the right side it sends a positive pulse to the lights but will not trigger the flasher. I'm thinking that might be an improper load issue? On the left side the switch will send a negative pulse out and trigger the flasher. So the left side triggers the flasher but will not light the l
ights

Back