free website stats program Newb (not RUB) with 1994 Hertiage Softail Cough.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Newb (not RUB) with 1994 Hertiage Softail Cough....

Beckysan

Good Morning!
I recently purchased a 1994 HD Hertiage Softail Nostalgia, that I absolutely love, but I knew it was going to need some tinkering. Was previously ridden by a lady who didn't do much riding, but her hubby seemed to maintain the bike's fluids etc well.
So I get it home two weeks ago, riding great, but having some problems starting. Put in new battery, new sparks, changed the oil. Started her up this morning, warmed her up...ran beautifully....until I hit 60 mph. Then it would start to stutter and cough a little bit. This only happened at higher speeds, as long as I kept it around 55, no problems. Other oddity was that by the time I got to work (I have a 30+ mile commute) I tested it again, seemed to be ok at 60 but I didn't want to push it. Sounds to me like the carbs may need to be cleaned out, I want to start simple then work my way up. Have been advised to put in sea foam...want to ge some thoughts and opinions. Not a super mechanic...but pretty mechanically inclined...so please excuse me if I ask a 'dumb girl' question ;) not dumb...just learning! Thanks!

Sea foam, Marvel Mystery oil or just a bit of carb cleaner will work in the fuel if it is a jet that's partially obstructed. More than likely it's from not being ridden much.

k...will give that a shot...
Was also told that to check and make sure that I don't have a plastic float, as sea foam seems to make dinner out of those? True/Not true???? Is that even a concern for this model? I have been searching all over online (manual at home...)to verify this. Thanks!

k...will give that a shot...
Was also told that to check and make sure that I don't have a plastic float, as sea foam seems to make dinner out of those? True/Not true???? Is that even a concern for this model? I have been searching all over online (manual at home...)to verify this. Thanks!

I don't think Sea Foam will hurt your plastic float if you don't pour too much in the tank. If it is the carb thats acting up, you'd be better off to take the carb off, take it apart, and clean it out real good. Replace the needle valve, gaskets, and clean the jets. Clean the screen in the tank too. Are you anywhere near Dallas??? Are you single??? I'll help you out. :s

None of the products mentioned will hurt the float if used in the proper manner. Don't over do it on the measuring, read the mixing directions on the can.

I don't think Sea Foam will hurt your plastic float if you don't pour too much in the tank. If it is the carb thats acting up, you'd be better off to take the carb off, take it apart, and clean it out real good. Replace the needle valve, gaskets, and clean the jets. Clean the screen in the tank too. Are you anywhere near Dallas??? Are you single??? I'll help you out. :s

Welcome to HDTimeline singles column...:lolrolling:lolrolling:lolrolling

Welcome to HDTimeline singles column...:lolrolling:lolrolling:lolrolling

Now that sounds like a very excellent concept, but I don't think there's enough single women here to make it worth while. However, I could be wrong. Come on now single women...... speak up. Don't be shy!!!!!! :D
OK, before I say something I'll get into trouble over, and before we get to 100 degrees, think I'll go for a ride. I better stay away from the Ft. Worth cops too. Too much caffeine and adrenaliene is a bad combination. :(

:newsmile055:(EDIT)..You guys crack me up.
Repsonse...no...I am not single, but I do have a sister! (who should be single)
Thank you for the responses, I will start with the sea foam and go from there. Gut feeling is that it just hasn't been ridden enough (and the weather here in MN has DEFINITELY NOT been cooperating) and probably just needs to be run through. I will let you know if it works, if not, I will be getting a lesson in carb cleaning!
If you ever need help getting this HD singles thing going, and need a female perspective, let me know...!

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Her first day and you guys already got her in trouble. Shame on youi!!Welcome to the forum Beckysan. you can learn alot here.

The best way to sort out a carb is to strip and clean it at the age of your bike a rebuild kit would be the best way to go
If it is the first time you are pulling a carb i would suggest might be best to remove the tanks to give good access
drain the tanks by removing the fuel line from the fuel tap and put another bit of fuel line on the tap and into a fuel container and turn tap to reserve it will take a wee while
you will find a balance pipe between the two half tanks at the front lower edge of the tanks also another that goes under the warning lights
by backing off the adjusters on the 2 throttle cables you will get enough free play to disconnect the cables
there is a vacuum pipe from the carb to the voes take note of where it goes on the carb
i dont think that a fuel additive will be a lot of benefit in this case sounds a wee bit like the diaphragm has perhaps a small hole

Brian

Back