free website stats program New Vibration | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Vibration

The vibration you're noting, is it felt equally on both sides or predominately on one side of the bike?
I know this sounds silly, but recently had my V&H dual header pipes, stage one and pythons done and when I picked up the bike it had a signifcant vibration of the right floor board....took it back yesterday and with a minor adjustment of the heatshield and floorboard, viola, no more vibration.
I know I'm probably the only odd ball to have this particular item, but just in case thought I'd chime in..good luck:)

Predominately the right side... no changes to pipes or anything else for that matter except fluids... I've looked around and don't see anything rubbing but I'll look some more...

Have them check the crank to make sure it's still within spec. some 96" cranks are spinning and putting them out of balance.

Breaking an engine down with less than 5000 miles? Not liking this...:(

Just the cam chest and the primary cover to check for crank whip. And while your in there maybe a set of cams and a S/E compensator:newsmile100:

Predominately the right side... no changes to pipes or anything else for that matter except fluids... I've looked around and don't see anything rubbing but I'll look some more...

Breaking an engine down with less than 5000 miles? Not liking this...:(

You can try this; remove your voltage regulator(2bolts) check the lbs of torque on ur front mount. Loosen the front mount bolt just enough for the bolt to move up and down freely. Start the bike on the kick stand and let it idle for 2,3 minutes. Shut the bike off and re-torque the bolt. Check the manual for the torque range.. maybe a pound or 3 less for where it was. Sometimes more.

You can try this; remove your voltage regulator(2bolts) check the lbs of torque on ur front mount. Loosen the front mount bolt just enough for the bolt to move up and down freely. Start the bike on the kick stand and let it idle for 2,3 minutes. Shut the bike off and re-torque the bolt. Check the manual for the torque range.. maybe a pound or 3 less for where it was. Sometimes more.

this helped on my 98,

but have you done anything to the front end lately.

i found the front axle nut had not been torqued proper and once toured no more vibration

Just another thing to check but....was riding with the wife on a backroad cruising along at about 60 mph and suddenly a vibration that wasn't there before showed up? Couldn't find it. A week later was 50 miles from home. Came out bike wouldn't start (turn over)? Being that it was a carb bike we push started it and made it home. Went through testing I found here on this site and showed a bad stator? Once I got it stripped I found stator was ok but the magnets had slid around on my rotor and that is also where the vibration was coming from. Replace it all while in there and has been fine ever since. If you go to the charging system checks it will tell you if you are possibly looking at similar problem? Hope that helps.:)

this may sound strange but i was at bike week in florida and changed my slipons from vance&hinds monster oval s to wild pigs and my vibration is gone the guys at steet thunder did the job for me they are realy great people to deal with

Any work done that may have a lost tool? I did that once, lost a socket & ended up with a vibration. Scared the life out of me until I found my socket between the engine & the frame. If you ride on gravel roads, might have a rock lodged some where also. Good luck

Toby

Back