free website stats program New valve break in. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

New valve break in.

You can sometimes push the piston pin thru by hand. If not use a small diam. socket with extension to tap thru the rod. It has to be a small diam. to clear the wrist pin clip you left on one side. Be sure to replace the one you took out with a New clip. Yes a small screw driver works to put the clip back in. Careful not to scratch or chip your piston.
tourbox

You can sometimes push the piston pin thru by hand. If not use a small diam. socket with extension to tap thru the rod. It has to be a small diam. to clear the wrist pin clip you left on one side. Be sure to replace the one you took out with a New clip. Yes a small screw driver works to put the clip back in. Careful not to scratch or chip your piston.
tourbox

Thanks tourbox. I realize now that the little o rings are oil return. So now I'll just wait to get my heads back with gasket kit and start on the task of removing cyl. with piston still in. Will make me feel much better to know o rings are good and seated properly. Can you guys tell that I'm a rookie? Oh well live and learn. Really appreciate all your help!

Thanks tourbox. I realize now that the little o rings are oil return. So now I'll just wait to get my heads back with gasket kit and start on the task of removing cyl. with piston still in. Will make me feel much better to know o rings are good and seated properly. Can you guys tell that I'm a rookie? Oh well live and learn. Really appreciate all your help!

Not a problem. OJTin' is where all the fun of having a Harley comes from at least for DIYers.

I had the base gasket on one of my '91 EVO cylinders leaking slightly for a couple of years because I was "afraid" to tear into it. Got progressively worse over time and finally allowed enough movement of the jug so that it blew the head gasket. That was in late '98. Tore into it doing a top end job but completely stripping the bike to have the paint refreshed in '99. Unfortunately I did not split the case or gut the tranny back then. Now the tranny is shot and the bike is waiting for me to get my "round tuit". Oh well. Live and learn!!

Here is the story:

1991 Sturgis Rebuild - 1999 Slideshow by TQuentin1 | Photobucket

Cheers,

TQ

tourbox

THAT is ALSO where you need a good Towel Cover so NOTHING Drops into the Case... Good post tourbox...

signed....BUBBIE

Ok so I did lift cyl. just enough to look at the o rings and they did look fine. I did notice each cyl. had a little green o ring on it too. I think for my piece of mind I would like to try to replace o rings the way dolt said so does anyone know a good piston pin puller? Not too many dollars. and do I need the clip install tool too? I have seen videos where they are put in with just a small screwdriver. Thanks.

The green oil return O-rings are Viton, they will not harden over time like the early black ones. If I were you, I would leave them alone; were are back to "if it ain't broke....................

However, if you must venture forth, Tourbox has addressed the pin removal. You can install the pin locks with a small screw driver but those little buggers can pip out and fly across the garage never to be seen again until a month later when you are sweeping the floor or just happen to step on it.:D

The worst is having it fall into the abyss of the crank case. Please follow Bubbies advice to seal off the access to the case with rags or whatever; I use large sponges like the ones you can buy at the auto parts store for washing your car; nothing gets past them.

There is a trick to installing the clips using a 3/4" copper pipe coupling and a 5/8" socket. I can email you the photo documented step by step; the file is too large to attach. If interested, PM me your email addy and I will send it to you.

Having said all that; I would leave well enough alone; JMHO.:s

The green oil return O-rings are Viton, they will not harden over time like the early black ones. If I were you, I would leave them alone; were are back to "if it ain't broke....................

However, if you must venture forth, Tourbox has addressed the pin removal. You can install the pin locks with a small screw driver but those little buggers can pip out and fly across the garage never to be seen again until a month later when you are sweeping the floor or just happen to step on it.:D

The worst is having it fall into the abyss of the crank case. Please follow Bubbies advice to seal off the access to the case with rags or whatever; I use large sponges like the ones you can buy at the auto parts store for washing your car; nothing gets past them.

There is a trick to installing the clips using a 3/4" copper pipe coupling and a 5/8" socket. I can email you the photo documented step by step; the file is too large to attach. If interested, PM me your email addy and I will send it to you.

Having said all that; I would leave well enough alone; JMHO.:s

3/4 od or id? I will send you my email..always want to see diff. ways to do things. thanks

3/4 od or id? I will send you my email..always want to see diff. ways to do things. thanks

Rigid copper is measured by ID; soft copper in refrigeration is measured by OD. The coupling you need is rigid copper found in the plumbing supply aisle in Home Depot or Lowes.

The copper pipe, piston clip insert tool is one of the best homemade tools ever!
Having extra hands to hold the jug makes things a lot smoother.

Update: I ended up not pulling jugs off. I lifted them just enough to verify o rings ok. Put bike back together with heads and rush wrath 2 into 1 pipe. Also put a download on from se race tuner. I only had 1 diagnostic historical code . 1 cylinder had been running rich...not too bad considering I was running ejk gen 3 with cams exhaust and air. I will decide later if dyno or not. It's running good now with lots of torque all the way through..I'll run another diagnostic on it after more miles. Also will put picture of exhaust later. Feels good on my ears to get exhaust behind me. Still sounds great with the big Louie and 2.5 baffle. Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.
WAP.gif

Back