free website stats program New Ultra Owners: Standby your windshield replacement. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Ultra Owners: Standby your windshield replacement.

Now that's funny Doc!
yharley, something to keep in mind. As your seat breaks in you will sit just a little lower on the bike. Therefore your windshield highth is different than when new. The other is, you might like a taller windshield for winter and a shorter one for summer, as I do. I too am the owner of several windshields, and finally ended up cutting one to my liking. Good Luck!

Yharley, Doc laughed because you made the statement

My hope is to only purchase one time.

...because that has been the intent of thousands of riders before you that tried the very same thing without success and the windscreen was not mentioned...

Don't feel bad, it is the Harley tax...many of us have gone to the MOCO and donated freely and cheerfully with that totally on our minds. That is going along the lines of how many riders have their rides "BONE Stock", bet it is a very tiny number to be sure.

:rofl:rofl I only have 4 (so far), for my Electra Glide. I'm happiest with my 10" Clarks contour, dark tint. IMO its best feature is the extra width makes the radio sound noticeably better. And it was under $50 delivered. Now if it was only a tiny bit taller.........:D

That's a fine looking windshield Breeze....where did ya get it?

The book will say something like top of windshield 2-3 inches below your line of sight. I like mine above my line of sight so I am looking through the windshield.

So, what ever YOU want.

TQ

I agree with TQuentin. I like the windshield to be above my line of sight. I went with a simple, cheap slip streamer 15" which was about $50 delivered. My wife however doesn't like to look through the shield so we got her a 6" memphis shades which has a really nice looking color scheme to it. I think the 1st thing you need to decide is to look over or through the windshield. After you have decided that then you decide what height you want and then it all depends on how deep your pockets are. Personally, I would not buy a HD windshield as there are a lot of others which are better and a bunch cheaper.

I bought an 8" LRS X-stream in dark tint....it was like not having a windshield at all...

Went back with their 9" Ultra flip up shield in dark tint and it works pretty good and looks great but I still get a little buffeting.......right now I'm riding with the stock 12"....it's the most comfortable so far.....I've given up...unless someone gives me a shield to try....

Now that's funny Doc!
yharley, something to keep in mind. As your seat breaks in you will sit just a little lower on the bike. Therefore your windshield highth is different than when new. The other is, you might like a taller windshield for winter and a shorter one for summer, as I do. I too am the owner of several windshields, and finally ended up cutting one to my liking. Good Luck!

Great point Tramp60: even if you get something you think is perfect, things change over time: seat height, temperature, weather, different helmet/visor/no helmet etc.

That was quite possibly the "truest" response to the orignal post, I have seen so far. Classic!

Speaking of windshields and scratches: I used some of the left over abrasives from one of those headlight refinishing kits on my original UC windshied. The previous owner must have cleaned it with a scotchbright pad. The kit worked great. Windshield looks brand new.

There is a thread called "look over or under windshield" with 43 posts
Good luck with this helping. You have to figure it out yourself.
Personally I would never look UNDER the shield, I could not get my head that low, and the tank will get in the way. :rofl

I just put a windvest 9" recurve on my bike. I am 5'10" with about a 31" inseam. I look over the shield by about 2" and love it. The wind is the same as my 12" stock shield. Most of the wind I have is from when I throw my feet out on the highway pegs, it seems to channel the wind right up to me. Good luck

Back